question for "dunster"

question for "dunster"

Old 10-20-2009, 02:03 PM

Beautiful quilt!!
Old 10-21-2009, 06:08 PM
Power Poster

That is a beautiful quilt. Great job.
Old 10-23-2009, 10:55 AM

That's a gorgeous quilt, Helen. Can you tell me what the pattern is?
Old 10-23-2009, 11:21 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Helen H
I am very interested in your pattern for your clipart quilt under your name! What a beautiful quilt. I seem to be finding all the ones I like with the log cabin type designs are yours! My project linus group makes a raffle quilt every year -- just finished one this past weekend and love your orange/rust colored one you used as your logo. Photo attached of the one we just raffled this weekend. We raised $1650 !

Help! Thanks in advance. (PS I also love the blue Summer Lake Log Cabin and, unbelievably, just HAPPENED to have the Judy Martin book! Aren't I lucky?) :D

Helen H
Your quilt is gorgeous! Congratulations on raising so much with your raffle. Where did you sell tickets, and for how long did you sell them? My guild is talking about a raffle quilt, but we haven't done one and aren't sure how to get started. It seems like the key would be to sell the tickets at lots of different venues, like quilt shows and holiday fairs.

My avatar is neither clip art nor a log cabin, but it is a Judy Martin design. I described it in this post: http://www.quiltingboard.com/posts/list/23517.page

The design is from Scrap Quilts by Judy Martin, http://www.amazon.com/Scrap-Quilts-J.../dp/096029709X

Old 10-23-2009, 03:02 PM

Thank you "dunster" for kind remarks about our Bloomin' Log Cabin quilt! And thank you for info on the quilt in your logo. Would you believe I ALSO have THAT book!!! I can't believe it. Went right to my books on scrap quilts, and there it was.

However, I now think I am discouraged after what you said and seeing the pattern. Additionally, we want a full-sized quilt and that may not be adaptable - but there's always your blue one with the Greek keys - that's a winner too.

As far as info on raffling a quilt, several of us made it, about 5 or 6, and that can be tricky - trust me - everyone sews differently, but we did alright with it. We printed our own tickets just on paper, stapled them together in batches of 6 (sold them for $1 a piece or 6 for $5) -- almost everyone will buy $5 worth it seems. A bunch of us would take 5 - 10 packs of tickets, sell them, turn the money into the treasurer, and take more to sell. We sold to relatives and friends mostly.

We sold tickets for about 2-1/2 months. We did have the lobby of a senior citizen apartmt building where we sew where we displayed the quilt on a full sized rack so the whole thing could be seen. People coming in and out bought tickets. No other public venue. We were pleased with the results for sure.

Thanks again for your help.
Old 10-23-2009, 03:18 PM
Power Poster

Stunning quilt.
Old 10-23-2009, 06:33 PM

Awesome quilt. Thanks for sharing. :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
Old 10-23-2009, 06:42 PM

I LOVE your log cabin! So beautiful.

I've seen quilt raffles set up at craft festivals in spring and fall, flea markets, etc. I've bought them from co-workers. If you live in a town with an active down-town area, you might look for a connection between your group and a friendly merchant who might be willing to display the quilt in a store window for 1 or 2 weeks with info on how to get the raffle tickets. You might get a small story and photo in your small hometown newspaper with info on tickets and then get a followup photo and caption with quilt winner. If anyone is into Facebook, post the raffle info and a story there also.