Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Question about batiks and kits

I recently ordered my first quilt kit - which happens to be all blue batiks. Measured and fabric is exact. Normally I prewash fabric but am afraid to do so because this is a kit with 1/4 yd pieces. Is it okay to wash after its bound ? (Never used batiks before.)

might bleed a bit. If it is all blue, the possible problem won't be so bad. Use retayne, synthrapol, or the color catchers when you wash the quilt.

of course you will be hearing dissenting opinions ;-)

Thanks. Just afraid to prewash with such small and exact yardage

I wouldn't, but that is me.

Quote Originally Posted by DebraK
    might bleed a bit. If it is all blue, the possible problem won't be so bad. Use retayne, synthrapol, or the color catchers when you wash the quilt.

of course you will be hearing dissenting opinions ;-)
    This would be my suggestion as well. :thumbup:

I know you will hear lots of opinions but I would not wash fabric in a kit for the reasons you named. I have quilted many batik quilts for people who have not pre-washed. Later washing has not changed the look of the quilt. I agree with DebraK for washing after just to be on the safe side. However I have also read from other board members of the problems from batiks that are not pre-washed.

Never bought a kit before.

My first all batik's kit didn't leave any room for mistakes. I didn't wash and it didn't shrink. I used a color catcher, and it didn't even run much. My colors were greens, blues, burgandy's so I was impressed.

If it's exact measurements of fabrics I would not wash it. Just me.

I'm bad as I never wash my fabrics anymore. I used to, but I love that extra crinkley look.

Haven't worked that much with batiks (just now making a sweatshirt jacket for my Mom with them, so we shall see. I do use color catchers though when I do wash.

I just finished a batik kit and I did not wash it because it is a wall hanging. If it was to be a full size I may have washed because I wash everything. There was plenty of fabric in my kit!

Where did you get the kit from?

in my experience the vast majority of batik fabrics are okay not to prewash as they get washed in very hot water after dyeing to remove the wax used in making the designs on the fabric.

The only color I have ever had a problem with in Batiks is Yellow. Boy does that one bleed. I just do a soak in Biz, rinse well and be sure to use a color grabber. Then press them before they are quite dry.

The last two quilt kits I used stated not to wash the fabric before cutting.

Blog Entries
    you may want to contact the shop where you purchased the kit and ask them if they intended for the pieces to be pre-washed, usually kit's are not if they are pre-cut kits. I have made literally hundreds of quilts and many of them were made with fabrics that were not washed until the quilt was quilted and bound. i never had a quilt not turn out. i have had a couple quilts have colors bleed. it is always a good idea to at least test for color-fastness. if the fabrics don't bleed, go ahead and wait to wash. it is the batting and the amount of quilting that dictates how much shrinkage a quilt has.

Super Member I go To The Sea To Breathe's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I am also getting a blue batik kit, and I will not be washing it before I sew. I purchased the kit from ebay from a seller that has a good report. It also is exact cut.

I like ckcowl's suggestion to test for color-fastness. I wouldn't want to pre-wash unless the colors bleed.

i made a a card trick out itassorted material did not wash till done put a color catcher in wash came out lovely the person who i gave it to has since washed it no problems

To wash or not to wash. As many different answers as there are quilters. Personally, I wash all my fabric then spray starch the daylights out of it when I use it. I LOVE batiks!!! Really love them. I bought some Bali Pops in reds and blues and was very concerned with them running. You certainly can't put them in a washing machine!!! I took the strips and soaked them in a basin in very hot, hot water and then gently dried them in a towel then ironed them. Worked fine and no bleeding. I have since then started using this same method with anything less than a yard. I have been tremendously amazed at how much they bleed. I have been known to soak a piece3 or 4 times to get out some of the dyes. I'm nervous about a project I'm almost done with and will wash it with Retayne when I'm done.

I would just test a small corner of each color and see if when it hits the water it bleeds. if it doesn't or it is very minimal I would go a head and run with it. if there is bleeding. I would just set them all in luke warm water in the sink with retain or synthrope. then let them air dry. this will help keep the shrinkage to a min. this is how i was all my batiks that I think will bleed. and if you are in a cold area, then let them sit outside in the cold air. it will dry them faster. well as long as the humidity is low. hope this helps.

With Batiks it is my experience that there is almost no shrinkage. I had one shrink 1/4 inch over 1 yard and I chalked it up to a measure issue with me.
    But the chances of a Batik running are VERY HIGH. Pretreat with Retayne, or soak and rinse before use.

I believe it is a major fabric sin to not prewash. But I started quilting with kits and well you just can't prewash some of those small pieces. Yesterday I washed my first NON-prewashed quilt....I sat on the floor next to the washer the entire time...the buzzer went off I was sick to my stomach as I opened the door, pulled out the quilt....not a problem, it looked perfect!

Glad you asked about Batiks, I want to make a purple and yellow one but I hear horror stories about bleeding. Im mentally storing everyone tips from this thread.

I would not prewash.

Blog Entries
    I would not prewash. I would use a color catcher and wash it upon completion.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast