Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Question about the Big Look Sewing Platform >

Question about the Big Look Sewing Platform

Question about the Big Look Sewing Platform

Old 01-17-2016, 07:26 AM
Power Poster

No problem with moving it out of your way either by flipping it up or taking it off or sliding it back. It is very easy to adjust to your preference when using it.
My vintage Singer is attached to the cabinet so it swings down out of the way. I don't know if the Big Look will work in that one.

Okay I raised the machine then put the platform under it so it rests on the sides of the cabinet. It seems to work fine.

Last edited by Onebyone; 01-17-2016 at 07:34 AM.
Old 01-17-2016, 08:05 AM

Thanks Onebyone! I think I'm going to give this a try and get one!

Solomae
Old 01-17-2016, 08:16 AM
Power Poster

If you can go to a show where the Big Look is being vended the price is much better. At least at the shows I've seen them at. My guild had a big enough order, we got a big discount on each one. But I bought my first one at retail price and it has been worth it, no regrets at all.
Old 01-17-2016, 05:43 PM

In response to you question Kalama Quilts: My cabinet is a Koala. The machine raises and lowers into the cabinet with an electric motor. Then I have a plastic insert which creates a flat surface for sewing. The Big Look sits under the machine, then the arm goes up past the plastic insert (which has an open space toward the far right of the machine). Your setup looks like you would need to modify your cabinet. I bet you could do it, but it would be tricky.

In response to your question Solomae: The magnifier can easily be moved (slid) right to left, and it swings up and down easily too. At first I was having trouble when it came to threading my machine (not the needle, just the machine) I actually had to think about it.....It had become so routine that I was used to not having to think about it. Anyway, what I have to do differently (because the magnifier is in front of where the thread goes when you thread the machine) is that I pivot the magnifier up, then thread the machine, then pivot the magnifier back into place. It is very easy to do.

I appreciate the Big Look sooooooo much. I am a perfectionist and this has made perfect points easier, FMQ easier, and straight 1/4" sewing easier. No more tension in my neck and shoulders, as well as the added reduced eye strain benefit. It took a day or two to get used to. I kept bumping it at first and it would kind of vibrate when I knocked it, but now I don't even notice it. I guess, just like the threading process, it has become routine.
Pictures are attached in this message.
Attached Thumbnails biglook-1a.jpg   biglook-2a.jpg   biglook-6a.jpg  
Old 01-18-2016, 07:15 AM

OnebyOne, can you attach a photo of how yours works in the Singer Cabinet? My dim bulb brain can't envision it.

thanks for the response Alice, mine fits like yours in the hole for my 8900 but the hole is oversize to accommodate any machine.

I too think this is a good product, although if you sew at top speed I think there would be some vibration, distorting the magnified view. I sew pretty slow so no problem.
Old 04-23-2020, 07:24 AM
Power Poster

This is an old post but I found out the Big Look is not being made any longer. If you do have one take good care of it. When I go to guild retreats my machine is the center of attention with my Big Look. Everyone wants one. One safety tip: cover it it if not in use if sunlight will shine on it. I use a machine cover when I'm through sewing so no problem for me.
Old 07-04-2023, 12:53 PM

I did find this attachment for Brother machines...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SddNYe9Kn40