Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Question about Brother 270 D machine >

Question about Brother 270 D machine

Question about Brother 270 D machine

Old 09-03-2010, 02:55 AM

There is a lady on Craigslist near me selling this machine. I wish to learn about embroidery and I can't afford to spend much at all. She states it does run and it is $150. I have called her and I hope to get it next week when she is back in town. My question is..from what I read this is an ok machine for learning on?
Old 09-03-2010, 03:00 AM
Power Poster

I have the 170d which only has a 4" hoop, but I love it because it is so easy to use. I also have a Pfaff which has a lot more that you have to learn in order to use. I don't take the time it requires.
Old 09-03-2010, 04:19 AM

I would check out http://sewing.patternreview.com
before I would buy that machine. It has reviews on all sorts of sewing machines and sergers from people that actually own the machines. I have checked out several machines before buying.

Mary
Old 09-03-2010, 05:51 AM

Originally Posted by CAJAMK
There is a lady on Craigslist near me selling this machine. I wish to learn about embroidery and I can't afford to spend much at all. She states it does run and it is $150. I have called her and I hope to get it next week when she is back in town. My question is..from what I read this is an ok machine for learning on?
I have the 270D and take it to retreats etc. It sews really well but sometimes the embroidery is touchy. I have found that if I use prewound bobbins I have alot less problems. I also have a 8500 PS bother that I do 99% of my embroidery on....
Old 09-03-2010, 12:10 PM
np3
Power Poster

Check for reviews before buying it. Also, see if she will let you try it out.
Old 09-03-2010, 09:27 PM

I have the 270D and love it.
Keep it clean and lint free and check your needles and tension periodically.
I have made many items on this machine, very nice.
Good sewing machine for me too.
Old 09-03-2010, 09:43 PM

I don't have one of these machines but I do know that there have been a lot of problems with them, mostly with the cassette/thread feature. Some work really well with no problems, and some don't, it's kind of a crap shoot.

I'd read all the reviews on http://sewing.patternreview.com and ask her if she's ever had it serviced. I'd also ask her to demo it for you. If she's confident in it's performance, she won't hesitate to show you how it works.

I think it's a great beginner machine, you're limited on the hoop size but it's a good size for most projects.
Old 09-04-2010, 07:07 AM

Originally Posted by Sadiemae
I have the 170d which only has a 4" hoop, but I love it because it is so easy to use. I also have a Pfaff which has a lot more that you have to learn in order to use. I don't take the time it requires.
I have the Brother 270 and a Pfaff. The Brother I use more because it is more simplified. - Fewer steps. I use the pfaff more for straight sewing.