Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Question About Coroplast Fabric Boards >

Question About Coroplast Fabric Boards

Question About Coroplast Fabric Boards

Old 02-17-2011, 09:24 AM

I use cardboard(like the back of a tablet) its' all acid free and I can fit tons of fabric on my shelves
Old 02-17-2011, 09:49 AM

I have 53 on a shelf that is 32" wide. Some of the fabric lengths are 1 yd, but most are 2 yds or more.
Old 02-18-2011, 03:26 AM

Don't buy boards, go to Joanns and get there free boards. Mark them into 3rds and have your husband cut them for you. You can cover the cut edge with masking tape. My husband made mine for me.
Old 02-18-2011, 03:28 AM

My husband made my boards. Go to Joanns and get their empy boards cut into 12 in boards put masking tape on the cut edge.
Old 02-18-2011, 05:01 AM

Mom and I just re-organized but we found some posterboard at the dollar store. I got about 3 big ones and 4 little ones out of each sheet to use as fabric bolts.We had tons of fabric. After organizing it made our stash look smaller. ( guess we will have to go hit the fabric shops for a few days..LOL).So, I guess what I am trying to say is, Yes it does give you more room on your shelves.I'll see if I can find a picture and show you. Some boards have up to 6 or 7 yards on them.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-115547.jpe   attachment-115644.jpe  
Old 02-18-2011, 05:40 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by DeeBooper
Mom and I just re-organized but we found some posterboard at the dollar store. I got about 3 big ones and 4 little ones out of each sheet to use as fabric bolts.We had tons of fabric. After organizing it made our stash look smaller. ( guess we will have to go hit the fabric shops for a few days..LOL).So, I guess what I am trying to say is, Yes it does give you more room on your shelves.I'll see if I can find a picture and show you. Some boards have up to 6 or 7 yards on them.
Yeah, but like mine, you have your fabric stacked vertically rather than horizontally. If it were all stacked horizontally, it wouldn't fit in the same amount of space, would it?
Old 02-18-2011, 06:25 AM

I purchased a set recently, loved them, and have since ordered two more sets. It's so much easier and neater when pulling out the fabrics. My fabrics were set up like yours, but it was always difficult to keep it looking that way after pulling out a few fabrics and getting them back in. I really like the boards, however it really is a matter of preference. Yours looks great as is; the boards just make it a bit easier and neater for me.
Old 02-18-2011, 08:21 AM

Originally Posted by quiltlady
Originally Posted by gaigai
Originally Posted by Jim's Gem
I see a lot of fabrics in your stash that I also have in mine!!!!
Don't know about the boards. I don't use them. My thought is also that you could not get as much fabric on a shelf. Mine is folded nice and neat and can easily see what's there. Your shelf looks that way too. I can't see, for myself, spending that kind of time, or money to wrap my thousands of yards of fabric on boards.
Yeah, and it would be a pain to rewrap everything. I use the ruler-fold technique, and it is fast and easy with no need to double-fold the fabric like you have to do with the boards. Thanks, JG.
There is a video on you tube if you search about using your 6 x 24 ruler to fold your fabric. I do it that way too. Nice and tidy, and no extra cost.

What is the ruler-fold technique?
Old 02-18-2011, 09:13 AM

I love quilting gadgets but try to justify that they really do help me. I just don't get the boards. Seems like a needless expense. I, too, fold my fabric around a 6" ruler and they are beautifully stacked in my cabinet...Save the money...buy more fabric.
Old 02-18-2011, 09:33 AM

Originally Posted by cbuchanan
I love quilting gadgets but try to justify that they really do help me. I just don't get the boards. Seems like a needless expense. I, too, fold my fabric around a 6" ruler and they are beautifully stacked in my cabinet...Save the money...buy more fabric.
Get a two foot tall stack of 3 yard cuts and pull one out of the middle or off the bottom. I can't imagine folding 3 yards that small and expecting the stack to be stable.

I don't need more fabric. I need the fabric I do have to be more accessible. I can pull a mini bolt of fabric out of the shelf and not disturb any of the other fabrics on the shelf. That's very nice.