Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Question about fabric manufacturers - are there different qualities? >

Question about fabric manufacturers - are there different qualities?

Question about fabric manufacturers - are there different qualities?

Old 01-21-2017, 07:45 AM

No, No, and No. This has been a discussion for years. A company may make different fabrics BUT they will be under different names. Robert Kaufman is not going to put different 'qualities' of fabric in different location and create problems for his brand. If Kona decides to make a special thinner fabric to sell at some location, it will not be called Kona (maybe kona light or kona thin, but not Kona). If there is a thinner, lighter, less durable fabric within the line, it will be the same for that fabric anywhere it is sold - that particular fabric, not the whole line.
Old 01-21-2017, 10:42 AM

I have always felt that some of the fabrics at JoAnn's were ok, some weren't. I always feel them. I do prefer quilt shop fabric for most projects. There is fabric called Kona at JoAnns it sure doesn't feel like the really thing to me. My friend who has a small longer business opened her own Checkers Distributors account. You need a vendors license and have a minimum per year amount you spend. They have a good sale on batting every December, free shipping. When you buy fabric you of course have to buy a full bolt. Not sure if this is something you could do or not. My guild get their QOV supplies this way.
Old 01-21-2017, 11:47 AM

Originally Posted by luvstoquilt301 View Post
Whittles.com has some great fabrics for QOV at reasonable prices. They sell lots o name brands. Thousands Of Bolts.com is another good source.
I always appreciate links to good places to shop. Unfortunately, I tried both of these links and they were not links to fabric stores. Actually, they didn't go anywhere. Maybe you have some other links to share? I'm always looking for places online to shop.
Old 01-21-2017, 11:59 AM

Originally Posted by luvstoquilt301 View Post
Whittles.com has some great fabrics for QOV at reasonable prices. They sell lots o name brands. Thousands Of Bolts.com is another good source.
These are good sources. I am also in a QOV group and Fabrics4less is another good source at reasonable prices. You can buy whole bolts for as little as $2.88/yard. The fabric feel varies, but we wash all of our quilts before we present them and they come out quite nicely. This is where our group leader gets much of what we use.
Old 01-21-2017, 02:07 PM

Originally Posted by Pennyhal View Post
I always appreciate links to good places to shop. Unfortunately, I tried both of these links and they were not links to fabric stores. Actually, they didn't go anywhere. Maybe you have some other links to share? I'm always looking for places online to shop.
www.thousandsofbolts.com is the correct URL www.marshalldrygoods.com is another good one.
Old 01-21-2017, 02:13 PM

I don't buy fabric at joann's cause most times i find it too thin, i also hope to keep our quiltshops which carry top of the line fabric in business. Just my take on stuff
Old 01-21-2017, 02:20 PM

It's <cite class="_Rm">https://www.whittlesfabrics.com/.</cite>
Old 01-21-2017, 02:26 PM

I have purchased from 5bucks a yard and the fabric is wonderful. even the batiks
Old 01-21-2017, 05:27 PM

I've never been disappointed with either of these:
https://www.whittlesfabrics.com/
https://quiltfabriccloseouts.com/
Old 01-21-2017, 08:20 PM

Originally Posted by danlynmartin View Post
In the manufacturing of fabrics there are different runs to produce the final fabric. These first runs are not the same quality as the final run. These are the fabrics sold cheaper at the some stores. The best quality usually are sold at the quilt stores and more expensive.
Usually the first run is to check the printed pattern and then the colors are added and checked in subsequent runs. I saw some second runs at JoAnn's about 10 years ago. I haven't seen them recently. Usually the color is not as clearly defined. I found some FQs at Tuesday Morning that were very thin but good colors. I made a doll quilt with it. It shrunk quite a bit, but it turned out fine for its purpose.