Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Question about Gingher Rotary cutter >

Question about Gingher Rotary cutter

Question about Gingher Rotary cutter

Old 12-08-2009, 04:46 PM

Hi, I'm new on the board so I hope I'm posting in the correct category. Being a huge fan of their shears, I just purchased a Gingher rotary cutter, and I was wondering if other people who own/have used this tool might be able to answer a question for me.

I noticed when I used the cutter, there would be black stuff on the blade cover when I closed it after I was done. Trying to figure out what this was, I took the blade off and discovered it is the Teflon coating scraping off the back of the blade as I cut. Has anyone else had this happen? I want to know if it's a common thing or if my cutter has a defect, because if it's just mine I want to exchange it while I still can! Thanks in advance for any insight. :)
Old 12-08-2009, 05:45 PM

I have a Gingher Rotary cutter and no mine does not leave any shavings or residue at all. I think you've got a defective one, return it and get another Gingher because they really are the best. I've owned other rotary cutters and Gingher is the best. The blades last much longer than any other rotary cutter. The grip is excellent allowing for comfort for your hand and precision cutting.
Kind Regards,
MaryAnna
Old 12-08-2009, 07:09 PM

Thanks MaryAnna! It's good to know that this isn't par for the course, I will definitely exchange it for a new one because otherwise I love it! I can already tell that it will be a lot easier on my wrist than the Olfa cutter I had been using previously. Thanks again!
Old 12-08-2009, 11:44 PM
Power Poster

Is this teflon coating on the blade itself?
Old 12-09-2009, 06:27 PM

Yes, the Gingher brand blades have a black teflon coating on them.
Old 12-09-2009, 06:27 PM

Originally Posted by Loretta
I hope you can get it replaced!
Thanks Loretta! I'm planning on taking it this weekend to see if I can get it exchanged.
Old 12-09-2009, 09:54 PM

This is going to sound like a dumb question, but can Ginger blades be used in other cutters? I have a cutter that I really like and would like to just change the blades if possible if the Ginger last a lot longer. Are they much more expensive?
Old 12-10-2009, 05:58 AM

Originally Posted by Janis
This is going to sound like a dumb question, but can Ginger blades be used in other cutters? I have a cutter that I really like and would like to just change the blades if possible if the Ginger last a lot longer. Are they much more expensive?
I would imagine you can use the Gingher blades as long as your cutter doesn't take some special type of blade. They do fit in my 45mm Olfa cutter. As far as the blades lasting longer, someone else could answer that better than I, since I haven't had a chance to use mine much yet, but from what I have read they are supposed to last longer. At my local JoAnn Fabric store the Gingher blades are about $1.00 more each than the Olfa blades (if you buy them in the single packs at least).