Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Question about hand applique

I've done applique a few times, just kind of incidental and not as the main work on a quilt. I wonder... is there a specific type of thread that is best to use? I'll be doing the tiny hidden stitches, not a blanket stitch or decorative.

I use Mettler Silk Finish 50/3 in the color to match the applique. Alot of people like the YLI silk #100. I haven't had any problems with the mettler. I like it.

Use a thread that's fine (finer than all-purpose sewing thread), in a color to match the applique.

Thanks, I'll look for it (bringing the fabric with me to match).

A couple of helpful hints for you. Try to match your thread to your fabric in natural light if you can. Unwind a bit of the thread and lay it across the fabric you'd like to match and you'll get a better idea of how invisible it'll be as a single thread rather than a solid spool of color.

I use Gutterman or Prescia. I did sit in a restoration of old quilts and they say to use silk to repair old quilts but did not recommend for our today quilts due to the strength issues. I just took an appliq class and the teacher recomm.silk thread due to it being so easy and thin to manage...I stuck w/my regulars:)(Just in case-for it made sense to me-no offense to those that prefer it) I love to match them too. Really makes hiding all so great! Skeat

Also...I love 'thread heaven'....keeps the thread from tangling up...and, if you are like me, you might snip off too long of thread at a time:)Which I think is recomm.not to go over 16" in length.

I use Mettler Silk Finish or Aurifil and try to match the fabric. A long time ago I heard that your should match your thread type to your fabric ie. cotton to cotton, silk to silk so I've never tried the silk.

I love applique and I love using Mettlers 60/2 cotton thread (it is finer,thus less noticable) than the 50/3. The problem I've had is if you are doing something with many colors, it can get expensive to buy a spool for only a few flowers or something. BUT I discovered recently, at the Piece O' Cake site, they sell packs of bobbins of 12 different colors, 3 different packs for $9. It is Superior brand Masterpiece thread size 60/2. I can't wait to purchase them. They call them "Frostings"

Good information here. Thanks everybody :mrgreen:

"Applique The Piece Of Cake Way" dvd came over the weekend from 'Connecting Threads' and it is so worth the little bit of money I spent on it! (Cheaper and more knowledge then the class I just recently took)Anyone needing an applique boost or further know-how...get this! Check your library or do like I did-buy it:)The 2 of the gals in this video explain thread weights, length, etc-etc. Defin worth a looky here:)Skeat (Who will be looking now for the book for patterns)LOL

Skeat, their DVD is wonderful. I can't tell you how many times I have just sat and watched it in the last couple of years. As for the book, I believe it is out of print but I did pick up the pattern at a quilt show or LQS, I can't remember LOL. Maybe you can find it on Ebay. Well, I was wrong, there are books available. Here is where I found the best price http://www.quiltersquarter.com/cgi-b...#0734817103714

Crispy

Blog Entries
    the absolute best is Aurifil and the best place to get it is www.pacificrimquilts.com and I also use mettler 60 W but like aurifil the best. Silk finish is so slippery and knottie ha. Have used it tho

That is a big thank you Crispy! I am defin going to order this book...I really like this quilt and it looks like it would be fun to do too. Thanks for the 'threads up' on that! Skeat

See my next message, was trying to reply to a previous post here, grrr!

Quote Originally Posted by Kara
    Use a thread that's fine (finer than all-purpose sewing thread), in a color to match the applique.
    I am doing some applique now & wondered about this? Thought I read somewhere, that you use thread that matches your background, now I am seeing otherwise. So which is best? Which shows less, & which do you prefer & why? Mine isn't showing much, but if matching the applique, instead of the background, would make it show less, then I will try that next. Any advice would be appreciated!... I am so loving hand applique, & doing back basting applique, for the most part...

Quote Originally Posted by happymrs
    I am doing some applique now & wondered about this? Thought I read somewhere, that you use thread that matches your background, now I am seeing otherwise. So which is best?
    I use 100 weight silk thread, in neutral colors. I usually try to find a color that matches the applique piece, not the background. If I could find it locally, I'd use 60 weight cotton, in a color to match the applique.

Janet

I haven't tried silk yet, but am hearing it's not good to use, if the quilt will be used, as in sat on, so am curious? Have you run into problems with this, or do you mostly do quilts that won't be used this way? I have done some silk cross stitch & love the soft feel about it, but wonder when it comes to hand applique? Thanks for the info!

I use silk thread and straw needles.

I haven't had any problems with the silk. If the quilt is going to subjected to hard use, I'd probably rethink doing hand needle turned applique anyway, and go for a machine technique.

Some people don't care for how silk handles - it's slippery! But I like that I only need 5 different colors to handle most applique situations, and the thin thread disappears into the applique so the stitches aren't visible.

Again, if I had a close, local source I'd go for fine cotton, but since I don't, I'll stick to the silk for now. With the cotton I'd need to match the thread closer to the applique than I do with the silk.

Janet

Blog Entries
    i use silk thread for applique (and most hand piecing) it is very fine- smooth- a joy to work with and very strong.
    i've heard lots of do's and don'ts...some people say you should not use it-
    i've been using it for many years now- and have never had any of the problems i have read about.
    any strong thread will work- you want to match the thread to the appliques- or use a neutral (like light gray for light fabrics, medium-dark gray for darker threads)

Blog Entries
    I was taught to use Aurofil; it is two ply and has alot of colors including the ones used by for the baltimore album quilts. I have great luck with it; if a newbie like me can make a stitch disappear it has to be good thread