Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Question about hand quilting in a show

I was wondering... If I have a quilt hand quilted, like by the Amish, does that disqualify a quilt as being done by an individual for entering in a show? Does it then need to be classified as done by a group?

How does having one done by a LAQ affect that classification?

Pam,
    I don't think it will disqualify it.

The shows I have been involved in sometimes have quilts people have found and maybe quilted by them. The big show we just went to in Burbank, many were pieced by one person and sent out for machine quilting. It was just noted on the description. It will probably just change the qualification. I know some had even won ribbons.

Good Luck.

I guess that's what I mean, it would just change the classification. If I have one hand (or machine) quilted then I don't know if it could be entered as being done by an individual.

Blog Entries
    it would not be fair to the quilter not to mention them in a show I have
    entered some with my name but saing it was quilted by----- that is the fair way to do it

What if you found blocks, and then put them together, or there was a quilt top, could you also enter that, if you don't know who made it? I.E. a thirties quilt, where the person is probably dead?

You usually just need to put the info as to where the blocks came from. You usually don't have to know the origin. I have seen many quilts, where someone found them in a trunk, a barn, someones grandmother. You just need to put as much info as you can about the quilt or blocks. There are many with unknown origin. It is just important to be able to share them.

Couldn't have said it better! Just give as much information as you canwhen entering the quilt. :lol:

Banned
    around here you have to give credit to everyone involved in the quilt.

I understand that everything should be stated. I just wondered about specific catagories. I've not entered in anything but the county fair but I thought that a quilt had to be entered in a specific catagory. I just don't know whether having one quilted by someone else means it cannot be in the catagory of Individual instead of by a Group.

For instance, I was reading the article about the recent winner of the Paducah show (I believe) and she said that her husband once said that he would work on it to make sure it got finished. She said they discussed it but if he did, then it couldn't be entered as an Individual work.

Banned
    yes that is true, if more than 1 person worked on the quilt it is no longer an individual body of work.

you would enter as a group and be judged as a group. if you win money that would have to be worked out in advance how the group wishes to divide up the funds.

when you request someone to quilt your top to show standards either they will tell you no or they will ask for much more money then they typically charge to quilt a top - show standards are much higher than what someone typically does on a regular basis.

one wrong stitch and you've lost.

Quote Originally Posted by kluedesigns
    one wrong stitch and you've lost.
    lol... then I guess that leaves me out of entering anything I do by myself!!

Banned
    LOL - you and me both.

just stay away from stippling! the rules on whats a stipple and whats a meander are so close that if you're not perfect you've hung yourself.

anything over .25 is a meander and a stipple is 0.125-0.25 - and trust me they do measure between the stitch lines to determine the distance.

Too many rules for me! I just want to make pretty things. :D

Banned
    well you make some of the prettiest quilts on the forum. you should enter local shows and you could even enter guild shows.

our local guild lets non-members enter the show.

That is high praise indeed and I thank you. There are wonderfully creative and executed works here.

I've never joined a guild or even been around other quilters much. I so appreciate all the people here, to see their work and read their words.

At two shows I recently attended there were quilts with ribbons (in one case Best of Show) that had the notation "professionally quilted". I don't understand. If I make a quilt and then send it out to be quilted by someone else, I didn't make the whole thing and it's not fair to someone who did it all herself (himself). None of the quilts to which I'm referring indicated who the "professional quilter" was.

Quote Originally Posted by mrs. fitz
    At two shows I recently attended there were quilts with ribbons (in one case Best of Show) that had the notation "professionally quilted". I don't understand. If I make a quilt and then send it out to be quilted by someone else, I didn't make the whole thing and it's not fair to someone who did it all herself (himself). None of the quilts to which I'm referring indicated who the "professional quilter" was.
    If you can have it "professional quilted", why not "professionally pieced" or "professionally appliqued" and still say that you did it and enter it in a show? :wink: Isn't there a distinction between professional and ameteur? I thought I saw that on a show description, or a winning description, somewhere. I don't think it's fair to have a professionally quilted one competing with someone that did all the work themselves.

k3n
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by kluedesigns
    well you make some of the prettiest quilts on the forum
    Here here!

K x

usually there is a form to be filled out,at least there is for ours,and there are several options to fill out as to who made it ,who quilted it etc,if there is a form and you are not sure I would hope there is someone you can ask

Shows and specifications are just as varied as there are people. To pick one and say that it represents all is hilarious. I have compared show and fair brochures and have participated at times. You need to check the individual specifications. I showed in a very small town fair and even they had classes like hand quilted, machine quilted, pieced by one and quilted by another, made by two or more, etc. They had a general statement that no work could be that of a professional. Then other fairs have classes that specifically state professionally quilted. It is not unusual to have a Best of Show and that would mean top of the class, highest marks of all entrants. Quilts get a report card with marks divided per area. I had a quilt go to a provincial (I'm Canadian) competition after being best of Show but also meeting all the criteria for that competition which was another set of of specifications. You could have been Best of Show and yet another quilt might have gone on to competition. This was all spelled out in the fair brochure.

So to anyone thinking of entering a fair you need to get a copy of their classes and then decide where you quilt goes. Dealing on a small level is a whole different ball park than thinking Paducah. Because the placings are based on many criteria your weakness might be outshone by your strengths. Mine were in that competition. My quilt shone in the design/originality/color area and did quite well in the piecing part but floundered on the actual hand quilting. That the hand quilting was not up to snuff came as no surprise.

As far a judging goes, it also depends on the show.The International is much different than a local guild show, International is really strict. I just saw a handquilted piece at a large California guild show that was beautiful. It was a design on muslin no piecing. Her stitches almost looked like machine they were so even. She had a lot of crosshatching. I found an area where she missed about an inch, many did not catch it, leave it to me. She still got a blue ribbon, which she deserved, I have neve seen such beautiful hand quilting.

This subject has been discussed for decades. If you've never read about the 1933 World's Fair quilt contest, I find it fascinating!
    http://www.womenfolk.com/quilt_notes...y-progress.htm
    The woman who won that contest hired out the entire process, but got all the credit.

I think you need to read the requirements of whatever contest/fair/show you're entering.

When my mother entered her quilts in a show, she had hand embroidered the entire quilt but her amish group hand quilted it. They put her in the open class. She won several blue first places and several second places and her first was an honerable mention. That way it was fair because all of them were classed the same and judged the same.

Hi,

As a person who recieves money to do handquilting for other people I am considered a "professional Quilter". In any of the big shows that would put my work of any kind in a different catagorey. For guild shows and local fairs I would request that you give me credit but I would not expect any share of your winnings. If you look in many of the published quilting books the authors often have the quilts made from their patterns pictured. If they are an honorable quilter the person who actually constructed or quilted the item will be given credit. Mimi Dietrich who has published many quilting pattern books has members of my one guild assemble and or quilt many of her samples that are pictured in her books. She is very generous about given credit for their work. She brings all of the finished quilts to our group so that we can admire and study them up close and personal.