Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Question about hobbs polydown batting...... >

Question about hobbs polydown batting......

Question about hobbs polydown batting......

Old 08-30-2011, 12:43 PM

Has anyone ever zigzagged pieces of this together for a quilt? I do it all the time with warm and natural but not sure with this because it is so fluffy. Will it "sink in" where you combine it?
Old 08-30-2011, 01:03 PM
Power Poster

if you have a very lofty one-yes it will sink where you zigzag them- prehaps you could use that new batting tape that has hit the market that would keep it from being mushed by your zigzagging.
Old 08-30-2011, 02:55 PM

When piecing poly batting I do a large zigzag stitch by hand. It just takes a few minutes, does compress the batting, and only needs to hold together until it is quilted. I'm not sure about using the tape on poly. I would be afraid the iron would melt the poly unless the tape works with cooler temps.
Old 08-30-2011, 02:57 PM

When piecing poly batting I do a large zigzag stitch by hand. It just takes a few minutes, doesn't compress the batting, and only needs to hold together until it is quilted. I'm not sure about using the tape on poly. I would be afraid the iron would melt the poly unless the tape works with cooler temps.
Old 08-30-2011, 03:58 PM

Originally Posted by Barb44
When piecing poly batting I do a large zigzag stitch by hand. It just takes a few minutes, doesn't compress the batting, and only needs to hold together until it is quilted. I'm not sure about using the tape on poly. I would be afraid the iron would melt the poly unless the tape works with cooler temps.
About how far apart do you put the zigs and the zags? Can I make it faster by spreading it out?
Old 08-30-2011, 04:51 PM

I use Polydown all the time and I have often zig-zagged pieces together on my machine. I just use the biggest widest setting on my Janome 6500. I often make brightly coloured scrap quilts that are always machine quilted and you just don't notice the batting joins.
Old 08-30-2011, 05:27 PM

I also zig zag with a very large stitch by hand as well as by machine and it has never matted down. But then again, I always use low loft.
Old 08-30-2011, 05:29 PM

This what I do with lofty poly batting. And I don't like the tape.

Originally Posted by Barb44