Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Question about JoAnn's >

Question about JoAnn's

Question about JoAnn's

Old 02-04-2012, 05:55 AM

Gramajo, there IS no reasoning to understand!!! There are so many new "regulations" under this current administration, it would shock you if you knew how detailed they were. I went to the grocery store bakery section where I was always given the crumbs from the bread cutting machine for the birds, and when I went several months ago, the lady told me that a new "regulation" was made that they can no longer give them out. What!!! The birds might complain? Makes me sick too, so you have a lot of company on that score. We are a country that could support another economy on just what we throw away!!
Old 02-04-2012, 07:04 AM

This makes me sick! I understand why the stores do it but it is still hard to hear or see!
I used to work at a store that got alot of stuff at a discount from Costco. Costco does NOT put any returns back on their shelves. Easier for inventory that way, but the owner of our store had a deal that all the returns were put in a box on a pallet and he paid so much for each pallet he picked up. He has no idea what he is buying but our little retail store made a good profit to say the least!!! I have also been to other stores and seen clothing that I know came from a certain store but the tags inside the clothes were cut off. Hard to return items with no tags!! It is sad to think that businesses are just trying to find the cheapest and easiest way to dispose of those 'useless' items. Really sad!
Old 02-04-2012, 03:08 PM

Thumbs up Dumpster diving, is it really stealing? The scavenger law may apply.

The Store saves "proof of purchase" to return for credit to their supplier. I think anything left out for the trash collection may be fair game as long as people don't make a mess and throw things all over the property. You cannot make a nuisance of your self...In all things, be discrete...........
Originally Posted by Up North View Post
I worked for a local health agency, The things in the dumpster were thing no one longer wanted or needed, I would not really go dumpster diving especially at a retail store, that would be stealing as they are given credit for those things so they have to be tossed as sad as it is.
Old 02-04-2012, 04:13 PM

Originally Posted by Browngirl View Post
Please forgive me if am posting this twice. One reason they do what they do is because some people were returning the items back to the store for cash. Another is that the company's don't give them credit for or accept the products back. The resturants do the same thing. Because if they gave you food and you say it made you sick they get sued. It is not a good way to do but these are their reasons. They won't donate them to a school, senior home or anything.
Icee
This is a BIG misconception - they can not get sued - there is such a thing as a Good Samaritan Law

"The "Bill Emerson Good Samaritan Food Donation Act" (Public Law 104-210) makes it easier for businesses to donate to food banks and food rescue programs. It protects donors from liability when donating to nonprofit organizations and protects donors from civil and criminal liability should the product donated in good faith later cause harm to the needy recipient.

The law also sets a liability floor of "gross negligence" or intentional misconduct for persons who donate grocery products. It recognizes that the provision of food close to recommended date of sale is, in and of itself, not grounds for finding gross negligence. For example, cereal can be donated if it is marked close to code date for retail sale.

Food banks also protect their donors by offering a variety of liability protections, including strict standards of warehouse operation, proper storage and handling procedures, complete product tracking and recall capabilities, and accurate and timely receipting. "

So there is NO excuse for food being wasted. The stores that care find a way to get it in the hands of food shelves and people who need it.