Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Question about LA quilt top >

Question about LA quilt top

Question about LA quilt top

Old 07-20-2011, 11:52 AM

My question is really about the backing size. I have read many places that LA want the batting and backing to be 4" bigger on all sides.

So can it still be done if the backing is 6" bigger on the length instead of 8"?

My backing is short 2" after squaring it up. Can I sew an odd piece of fabric on one end that will get trimmed off later? Or is there another cure besides buying more fabric?

BTW this is only a crib-size top. Thanks for your help. Just want to get it right!
Old 07-20-2011, 11:56 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by GAgal
My question is really about the backing size. I have read many places that LA want the batting and backing to be 4" bigger on all sides.

So can it still be done if the backing is 6" bigger on the length instead of 8"?

My backing is short 2" after squaring it up. Can I sew an odd piece of fabric on one end that will get trimmed off later? Or is there another cure besides buying more fabric?

BTW this is only a crib-size top. Thanks for your help. Just want to get it right!
In my opinion and what works for me, is go ahead and add a scrap piece to make up the difference. Be sure to square it up. It will be cut off anyway, so it will be fine. And if you only have 3 inches on each side and it's only a baby quilt it should be o.k. even without the extra. I could work with that on the LA.
Old 07-20-2011, 12:00 PM

That should be a good size for a baby quilt. I like extra fabric so I can test tension on the sides, and the other way, so there is no danger of the back or batting ending before the top, as I roll it. I don't quilt for others, just for myself, so I am pretty generous with the backs and batting, but nothing is wasted, I use the batting on rag quilts, and save the backing strips for scrappy quilts. I also make my top borders just a little wider than I want them finished, so I can square up my quilt nicely when I am done.
Old 07-20-2011, 12:04 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by GAgal

It is totally up to what your longarmer is requiring. As long as I have at least a very minimum of 1 to 2 inches on all four sides then I can make it work on my machine. I am not saying that is all that I prefer but I can make it work. The reason for the backing to be larger than the top is that is how the quilts are secured to the longarm machine and the tension straps on the side. If there isn't enough fabric to secure everything with then you run into problems. Plus you have to remember sometimes quilt tops aren't square and if you think you have enough room allowed at the top for both sides down then by the time you do quilt down to the bottom you might not have any fabric left on one side but twice as much on the opposite side. Hopefully, this will make sense to you. On a crib size quilt you don't have to worry as much as you do with a larger quilt top.

I would recommend talking with your LA and chances are she/he might agree to the size of backing without you having to add anything especially since it is just a crib size top.

Good luck and look forward to seeing pictures when it is all done,
Sherryl
Candlequilter
Old 07-20-2011, 12:10 PM

I appreciate your answers. Glad to know I can fudge a piece on the bottom to get it long enough. I'm learning and just want to get it right. Don't want to start off on the wrong foot with a good LA.
Old 07-20-2011, 04:15 PM
Power Poster

first thing you should do is call the long-armer you plan to have quilt for you and ask her/him how they would like that handled- being a small quilt it will probably be fine as is- or they may want you to add a strip= but i would just check. i've had lots of quilts come in that only had barely 2"...it is not a fast furious rule- it is a recommendation- i actually ask for more than what you've heard (like 5" on each side) but just because that's what i like certainly doesn't mean it happens (in fact seldom) and it does not mean i can not quilt the quilt-
ask the person quilting what they require- and in your situation how it should be handled- everyone will have a different solution- the one that counts is the one from the person doing the work.
Old 07-20-2011, 05:07 PM

I appreciate everyone's input. Thanks so much.