Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Question about leaders for quilting frame >

Question about leaders for quilting frame

Question about leaders for quilting frame

Old 09-26-2010, 07:38 AM

If you do want to install zippers, there is a tutorial on YouTube.
I prefer to just pin mine on.
I have leaders that were purchased. If I were to make my own, I would make them longer as sometimes it's close when I try to quilt the ending of an all over pattern (meaning the bottom of the quilt.
Old 09-26-2010, 07:56 AM

i start out pinning the top edge of the backing to the leader. i allow extra inches for this. then i pin the batting to the backing. THEN i run the machine straight across the top edge, basting with large stitches. i remove the the pins that held the batting down and i repeat with the top, pinning to the backing and batting, running the stitches right across. i feel the tension is straightest that way. if your stitches are really long, they're easy to get out. i also float the batting and top. that makes it easy to smooth out any wrinkles that develop in the batting. and to straighten the top and keep it square as you go. i also keep a spray water bottle near me and when i walk away for a while i spray lightly and let it dry while i'm gone. this pulls everything back in as it dries and makes up for any stretching that occurred when i was stitching. i made that up and it really works. it also gets out any wrinkles from sliding the machine over and reaching under to change the bobbin. when you do that, you have to push the fabric to the side and it gets wrinkled and stretched (on a large quilt).