Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Question about mitered corners on borders

Question about mitered corners on borders

Is there a rule of thumb about how much extra fabric you leave on borders to make miter corners? I am thinking of making them on a top that may have 6 different border strips. It seems like it would easeier to sew stips together and then sew them on the quilt which means the corners need to be mitered. I have watched videos suggested by others so I think I know how to make them but need to know how much extra fabric to leave. Thanks for you help!
    "In the crazy quilt of life, I'm glad you are in my block of friends."

I think I cut the width of the border plus 4 or 5 inches. That's probably a little more than necessary, but I like the insurance.

Blog Entries
    I've seen instructions that add only 2" to each end of the borders (4" total)...that's a little too close for me...especially with a 6" wide border. I'd have to up the allowance to 6-8" total. Remember you can always cut the excess off ....sewing it back on is tricky!

Nan - IN
    https://napquilting.com/
    https://www.facebook.com/NAPQuilting/

My GOAL is to ALWAYS ENJOY EVERY STEP of the quilting process....

I add the length of the width of the border plus a couple of inches. In other words, if your border width is 4 inches add 4 inches to the length plus 2 inches. Does that make sense to you. The formula works for any size mitered border.
    Sweet Caroline

You could makes this more complicated than it needs to be. I think Caroline S is right, width of border plus a few inches, better to be safe than sorry.
    God Bless Quilters and Sewers
    Marti

I think it should be width of border TIMES TWO unless you are mitering only one corner.
    Here's a good reference guide for borders.
    http://www.mccallsquilting.com/mccal..._quilt_borders

Blog Entries
    what ever the width of the border is plus a few inches for insurance- depending on the width of the borders- if the border is fairly narrow (less than 4") just a couple inches extra is ok- if the borders a wide you want a bit more (so if your border width is 8" total you might want an extra 11" of length to work the miter...or more- the extra just gets trimmed off to be used in another project.
    hiding away in my stash where i'm warm, safe and happy

Have you checked out the tutorials on You Tube? There are a lot that will show you exactly how to sew them. Have fun!

Let me get this straight. If my border is 10" ( I like that size border for the drop) then I would need to make total border strip 10" +11+11 (for each side) + the length of the side border is to be sewn on. EG- side is 70" so 10" border strip needs to be 70+10+11+11=102" This lengeth means that I would have to cut an extra 30" strip x width for each side.(4 extra strips) of each strip width. Basically it would be 1 extra WOF strip for each side. So if border peice is 6" then I would need 4 -6 1/2 "WOF cuts =26" extra. That is almost an extra yard of fabric. Seems like a lot. Maybe I will have to rethink this!

Honestly I say, make life easier and don't miter unless necessary. Most borders will look fine not mitered unless the fabric calls for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Donnamarie View Post
    Honestly I say, make life easier and don't miter unless necessary. Most borders will look fine not mitered unless the fabric calls for it.
    I was just loing for an easy way to add 6 differernt borders to quilt. I may have to rethink this and either add cornerstones or add borders individually. oh well It is the proicess and not how fast it can be done.

My rule of thumb for mitered borders is to cut your border the length of the top plus the width of your border on each side, plus a couple inches. So if your top measures 50", and your pieced border is 5" wide, you would add 50 + 5 + 5 + 2. Then, when you start to sew the border on the top, be sure to place the border so there is a 6" tail on either end. If you are making a pieced border with strips, this is the best way to add the border and really looks good.
    Last edited by mckwilter; 07-29-2013 at 09:40 AM.