Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Question About my Quilt Binding. >

Question About my Quilt Binding.

Question About my Quilt Binding.

Old 01-12-2023, 07:39 PM

Exclamation Question About my Quilt Binding.

I've been working on a baby quilt for my sister's little girl who's coming in March. All I have left to do is piece the binding together and attach it. I have never been more confused in my life.

The fabric I'm using is the same as the backing, but it's textured. It's very possible I'm overthinking this, but how do I sew these together so that it all lays on the same side when its unfolded? I have the top and right strip figured out, but that's only the binding for those two sides. Do I just sew the bottom and left together the same way then attach the entire thing? Or do I need to just do it in two sections, then tuck and sew them?

I feel like it shouldn't be this hard, but the fabric being double-sided is throwing me for a loop. And it's my first quilt on my own. If anyone can help I'd appreciate it so much!
Old 01-12-2023, 08:16 PM

Welcome to QB.
Old 01-12-2023, 09:55 PM

Ok first of all, what do you mean when you say it's 2-sided?
Second of all, binding is usually attached as one long strip. You sew several strips together with a diagonal seam, then attach it to the quilt. When you get to a corner, you flip the binding away from the quilt, then fold it back down on itself, turn the quilt and keep sewing. There are gobs of video tutorials on YouTube you might want to check out.
Old 01-12-2023, 10:00 PM

The you tube tutorials on binding a quilt will be much easier to understand than all the words it would take to explain. You might look for a Missouri sSar Quilt Company video. They explain things clearly and keep it simple. I’m sure you can master this.
Old 01-12-2023, 10:53 PM

Originally Posted by Peckish View Post
Ok first of all, what do you mean when you say it's 2-sided?
Second of all, binding is usually attached as one long strip. You sew several strips together with a diagonal seam, then attach it to the quilt. When you get to a corner, you flip the binding away from the quilt, then fold it back down on itself, turn the quilt and keep sewing. There are gobs of video tutorials on YouTube you might want to check out.
The fabric is textured on one side but not the other. I'm having problems getting the strips of fabric to all lay on the same side. And I'm not sure if it matters which way the 45 degree angle is cut to attach them.

Last edited by Nicole98; 01-12-2023 at 11:11 PM.
Old 01-12-2023, 11:16 PM

Originally Posted by csstexas View Post
The you tube tutorials on binding a quilt will be much easier to understand than all the words it would take to explain. You might look for a Missouri sSar Quilt Company video. They explain things clearly and keep it simple. I’m sure you can master this.
Thank you I have watched several tutorials, I've just been confused about how to get all my fabric to lay the same way. It's textured on one side and not the other, so I've been trying to make sure when I sew it together it lays right. On top of that, I wasn't sure if the angle I sew the strip together would affect the way the binding would lay when sewing it onto the quilt.
Old 01-13-2023, 04:00 AM

I'm not sure I'm understanding the question/concern so here goes. You want your binding strips right sides together when you put them together - same as when piecing blocks. Is your fabric actually 'textured' or is it directional? In my mind, textured has no bearing as long as you've put right sides together when sewing your strips together it should not matter. If it's directional then that may make a difference but usually not so much with such a thin binding strip.

After you've sewn your strips together to get enough length to go completely around the quilt along with about 12-15" extra (for matching/joining ends), you'll fold your entire binding strip wrong sides together and sew it to either the front or back of the quilt (I usually machine sew down to the front of the quilt and then fold over to the back). Some folks press their binding strip in half before stitching down to the quilt but I've found that particular step unnecessary).

After attaching by machine and joining my binding ends together, I then trim the quilt sandwich, fold the binding strip over to the back and stitch down by hand.

Hopefully this answers your question. Good luck.
Old 01-13-2023, 04:27 AM

I made a tutorial for my binding steps. I use an extension of the top layer and trim batting and backside.
Old 01-13-2023, 05:28 AM

Are you using a Minky type of fabric for binding? This comes to mind when I think of texture.
Old 01-13-2023, 05:57 AM
Power Poster

I have only done binding with cotton non textured fabric. Do you mean your fabric has pile as in Minky or velvet or has a pattern on a cotton fabric like stripes or checks?