Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
question about a possible repair >

question about a possible repair

question about a possible repair

Old 11-10-2020, 12:13 PM

Default question about a possible repair

Hello... I finally made myself a quilt. And its big! I wanted it to be big. I sent it to be longarmed and she did a great job.... BUT my borders were not so great

One side is really bad - she had to fold the material to get the quilting completed.

What I am thinking is that maybe I can seam rip the quilting on the section of the border and the seam to the body of the quilt Then I can cut some of the material out and make a new seam to remove the extra fabric.

In my mind this seems doable - painful and sad but doable... but I wonder about the quilting and if it will all come undone if I rip some of it out

what do you guys think? Will the quilting all start to come undone if I rip out some of it on the border?
Old 11-10-2020, 12:19 PM

If you rip some of the quilting out, you will have to tie off the ends or, yes, over time it will come undone.
Old 11-10-2020, 01:40 PM

Will it be possible to tie off the ends of the quilting? Or is that something that is difficult to do successfully?
Old 11-10-2020, 03:05 PM

Is the pleat across the whole border area or in a limited spot? Did you already attach the binding?

Would it work to trim down the borders to eliminate the fold/pleat?

If you can post a picture, you may get more responses to solutions.

Was the top wavy before it was sent to the quilter?
Old 11-10-2020, 03:14 PM

Imho, I would not rip anything out. I would find a fine matching thread in the primary color of the backing and with tiny stitches - stitch the fold flat and call it good.
Old 11-10-2020, 03:22 PM

Originally Posted by eparys View Post
Imho, I would not rip anything out. I would find a fine matching thread in the primary color of the backing and with tiny stitches - stitch the fold flat and call it good.
I think this is a better solution.
Old 11-10-2020, 03:25 PM
Power Poster

Depending on what it looks like - this is what I probably would do - most people do not look that carefully at borders, anyway.
Old 11-10-2020, 07:11 PM

I also agree. If it is for you personally I wouldn't worry about it. You probably won't even notice after stitching flat.
Old 11-10-2020, 08:05 PM

Me three. Either way you do it, you'll have a seam there. You might as well take the easy option and do it as Eparys describes, rather than ripping the quilting out, re-doing the seam, re-doing the quilting, and trying to tie off all the cut ends.
Old 11-11-2020, 05:40 AM

Originally Posted by meyert View Post
Will it be possible to tie off the ends of the quilting? Or is that something that is difficult to do successfully?
This is a Leah Day video on how to tie off the threads. There is another way that you use a regular needle with double thread, but I became impatient looking for it. You might find it. I could not get the search engine to distinguish between tying a quilt (as opposed to quilting it) and tying off quilt thread ends .

bkay