Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Question About Putting Together A Coin Quilt >

Question About Putting Together A Coin Quilt

Question About Putting Together A Coin Quilt

Old 08-30-2014, 07:01 PM

Default Question About Putting Together A Coin Quilt

Okay--let's see if I can explain this clearly.

I am making a stacked coin quilt of flannel. The coins will finish at 4x10" and will have sashing between each of the five columns. The columns will be 18 coins each. I'm a bit concerned about the possible stretching that might result from sewing all 18 coins together before sashing (a few of the flannels are thicker than others and the resultant weight of the columns might cause them to go wonky in that long a strip).

My idea is this: sew 6 coins together and sash the side of that piece, then sew 6 more for the second column, sash, and work horizontally across the quilt. I would then have the top third of the quilt together. Repeat for the middle third, then the final third. Finally, attach these together to form the complete quilt.

Am I missing something that would make this unworkable? It seems to work in my head, but I'm afraid I'm missing something that would create a problem. Any thoughts, ideas, or suggestions would be great.
Old 08-30-2014, 07:08 PM

I would think it would work. That way the sashing is locking the coins together. And your less likely to get an wiggle from the longer sashing. I say go for it.
Old 08-30-2014, 07:12 PM

Yes, another vote to go for it. That's the way I'd do it to avoid a long wonky sashing strip.
Old 08-30-2014, 07:32 PM

Sounds like a great idea.
Old 08-30-2014, 08:34 PM

That would certainly work if you don't mind having horizontal seams in your sashing columns. They'd drive me nuts, however, so I'd probably just stay stitch both edges of each 6 coin unit, sew the three units together, and then add the sashing in one long strip. The stay stitching will keep the coins from stretching and the sashing will remain seam free. No one will ever know the difference.
Old 08-30-2014, 09:06 PM

I used a light interfacing as a base and stitched alternate left to right/ right to left-- I acknowledge flannel would move more that the cotton I was working with
Old 08-30-2014, 09:25 PM

Thanks, everyone--I'll continue to mull this over.
Old 08-31-2014, 04:19 AM

Originally Posted by AngeliaNR View Post
Okay--let's see if I can explain this clearly.

I am making a stacked coin quilt of flannel. The coins will finish at 4x10" and will have sashing between each of the five columns. The columns will be 18 coins each. I'm a bit concerned about the possible stretching that might result from sewing all 18 coins together before sashing (a few of the flannels are thicker than others and the resultant weight of the columns might cause them to go wonky in that long a strip).

My idea is this: sew 6 coins together and sash the side of that piece, then sew 6 more for the second column, sash, and work horizontally across the quilt. I would then have the top third of the quilt together. Repeat for the middle third, then the final third. Finally, attach these together to form the complete quilt.

Am I missing something that would make this unworkable? It seems to work in my head, but I'm afraid I'm missing something that would create a problem. Any thoughts, ideas, or suggestions would be great.
I did a coin quilt and also did it in thirds. I would post a picture of it bit don't know how.
Old 08-31-2014, 07:46 AM
Power Poster

When I am questioning something I am designing in my head, start laying the blocks out and see if it is workable.
Old 09-01-2014, 06:09 AM

I would make it that way too. I believe you would have much better results, I know I have done it that way in the past.