Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Question about quilt pattern #4 >

Question about quilt pattern #4

Question about quilt pattern #4

Old 03-10-2018, 05:51 PM
Thread Starter
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 20
Default Question about quilt pattern #4

My mom wants to sell her quilts. So, I was wondering what the quilt pattern is on this quilt.
Thank you so much for your advice.
Best Regards,
Attached Thumbnails img_5199small.jpg   img_5200small.jpg  
rknarr3 is offline  
Old 03-11-2018, 07:04 AM
Super Member
Dina's Avatar
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Texas
Posts: 5,478

I don't think there is a name for this pattern. Your mom's quilts are lovely.

Dina is offline  
Old 03-11-2018, 07:52 AM
Power Poster
nativetexan's Avatar
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: home again, after 27 yrs!
Posts: 19,388

it is simple squares, not a definite pattern to me. she should be able to sell without any problems.
nativetexan is offline  
Old 03-11-2018, 11:10 AM
Thread Starter
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 20

I forgot to ask but this quilt also has tied yarn that have been pulled through the top of the quilt. Does anyone have an idea what that is called and why it would be done? Thank you for your thoughts. Best regards, Rob
rknarr3 is offline  
Old 03-11-2018, 11:41 AM
Super Member
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: dallas tx.
Posts: 5,172

Rob, the quilt hasn't been quilted, so women tied the quilt with the yarn. That is to keep the top, batting, and backing together, and to keep the fabric from moving apart. I would call it a utility quilt. My sister made those. Although, the back looks to be quilted. I don't know what to tell you. It is a pretty quilt and made perfectly.

Last edited by barny; 03-11-2018 at 11:52 AM.
barny is offline  
Old 03-11-2018, 12:18 PM
Power Poster
RedGarnet222's Avatar
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Reno, Nv
Posts: 15,561

It is true there is no real pattern name I know of except it is set in a fields and furrows setting. So it could be called a scrap version of that.

I agree that the quilt has been "tied". It is what a person did when they were in a hurry to have a warm blanket for winter. It was many times just sewn around the otside edge and "birthed" or turned though the opening and tied to keep everything from shifting around when it was washed. Usually the hired hands had these made from scraps.

This one looks like the front of a quilt wore out and they "renewed it by placing the top over the old quilt and tying the two together.

Last edited by RedGarnet222; 03-11-2018 at 12:25 PM.
RedGarnet222 is offline  
Old 03-11-2018, 12:25 PM
Super Member
ptquilts's Avatar
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Vermont
Posts: 6,289

It looks like it was tied to a commercial bedspread for a backing.
ptquilts is offline  
Old 03-12-2018, 03:58 PM
Super Member
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Dallas area, Texas, USA
Posts: 2,991

When we lived in Florida in the early 1980's there was a store in Titusville that sold mill ends from factories that made bedding. I think it's possible that I may recognize the type of machine quilting that we see on the back of this as what was available at the time. It was done with poly batting, and the machine made stitch-like marks where it sealed the layers together. My hunch - and it's just a hunch! - is that whoever made this used that type of pre-quilted material for the back and batting and used the tying method to attach her pieced top to it. If I'm right there will be an extra layer of fabric under the pieced top and then the polyfil batt and then the backing that you see.

Ha! I just read the post above mine and see Barb had the same thought, but was much less wordy!

Last edited by Rose_P; 03-12-2018 at 04:00 PM.
Rose_P is offline  
Related Topics
Thread Starter
Last Post
Cathy M
04-23-2011 03:14 AM
03-16-2011 07:18 AM
Jackie D
02-14-2011 06:39 AM
09-10-2010 05:30 AM
08-01-2010 11:36 AM

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

FREE Quilting Newsletter

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.