Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Question about quilt patterns using quilt BOM >

Question about quilt patterns using quilt BOM

Question about quilt patterns using quilt BOM

Old 07-24-2015, 06:12 AM

I am referring to Block of the Month. I have about 4 sets of completed blocks finished and I would like to turn them into quilt tops. However, I am having trouble locating patterns that you can make using the BOM. Sorry for all the confusion.
Old 07-24-2015, 06:11 PM
Gay

Do you really need a 'pattern'?

You can join them with sashing - with or without corner blocks - straight or on the diagonal - alternate with same size blocks in plain or patterned fabric

[ATTACH=CONFIG]526035[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]526036[/ATTACH]

Or if you are fairly ambitious - you could make your blocks larger by adding smaller units of stars, HSTs, 4patches and plain colour strips, as in the pic below.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]526037[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]526038[/ATTACH]

There was a post a few days ago with a link to a quilt layout something like this, with flying geese border. If they were 2x4", it wouldn't be hard to fathom measurements for each of the blocks. I think it was called "In My Garden" by Kelly Saffel

Good luck
Attached Thumbnails layout-2.jpg   layout-3.jpg   layout-1.jpg   layout-1a.jpg  
Old 07-25-2015, 02:20 AM

Do you understand that Block of the Month (BOM) is a start to finish program using the particular blocks in the project. If you have blocks of your own already....sounds like you just need to figure out how you want to set the blocks.

Sandy
Old 07-25-2015, 08:25 AM

Usually the BOM includes the finished setting suggestions. However, if you didn't care for those, and want to go out on your own, the Setting Solutions book is a good suggestion, as well as just playing with the layout till you find one you like.
Don't be afraid to trust your own instincts on this.
I recently used a bunch of orphan blocks to make a quilt top, so had to do some fitting in, but your BOM blocks should all finish to the same size and you should not have that problem.
Here is a photo of my orphan block top so far; you can see that I am going for the scrappy look, rather than setting each block to stand out individually.
Attached Thumbnails bhf-progress.jpg  
Old 07-25-2015, 09:04 AM

I used a Big Block Quilt pattern to piece together a stack of blocks I won at quilt guild. The sizes varied and I did not want to cut off points to make them fit. I bordered block with strips of fabric that blended and then cut all the blocks the same size. Patterns can be found at http://www.mapleislandquilts.com/ I used the BQ pattern, but there are others that would work.

Another site that has many patterns with options for setting BOM,s is www.cozyquilt.com. Click on Building Blocks and you will find the patterns. They also have videos on all of the patterns.
Old 07-25-2015, 10:41 AM

I have designed a couple of my own layouts and modified a Sharyn Craig setting solution for another. I agree with PaperPrincess about Sharyn Craig's books as well as looking at Pinterest or other websites for ideas.
Old 07-25-2015, 06:08 PM

I also am looking for a pattern to use for 12 9 inch BOM blocks to turn them into a queen size quilt. I made one using a pattern called "Staring 12" by Charlotte Wolfe from Charlotte's Sew Natural quilt shop, that worked well, but I wanted something different for the next one. I also have a book titled "Setting Solutions" that has ideas for filling in around blocks to make them bigger, but I would like something that wouldn't strain my brain figuring it out.