Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Question about quilt stitches >

Question about quilt stitches

Question about quilt stitches

Old 10-28-2011, 06:45 AM

As a lifelong handquilter I want my stitches to show. Why go to all that trouble if no one can see it including yourself. I "never" quilt in the ditch. I don't see the point. The closest I come to that is echoing the piecing 1/4 inch on either side. I like to use the new varigated threads. They really look cool on a solid colored quilt. If you haven't quilted in years than your current work is really outstanding. I still can't brag about my piecing or applique but I can quilt the crap out of a wholecloth.
Old 10-28-2011, 06:51 AM

Beautiful quilt! I love the colors!! Very modern and traditional at the same time. Welcome to the board from California
Old 10-28-2011, 07:21 AM

Hi Speedy and Linda! Thanks for welcoming me and for the compliment Linda.
Speedy, i agree about stitchin in the ditch. Whats the point other than atatching the layers. Good point!
Old 10-28-2011, 07:21 AM

Originally Posted by SANDY COWAN
Im just now getting back in to quilting after over 20 years. I think i've forgotten everything I once thought I knew, if that makes any sense.
Is it a rule of thumb that your quilting thread shouldnt show? After looking at some of the quilts on here, im ready to ripe all my quilting out and start over. Im not that far alng yet so its no biggie, but im just curious if the thread should not show on the top of your quilt. I swear, I feel like a beginner all over again. :?

I never heard of that rule of thumb. Why wouldn't you want your quilting thread to show? If you entered your quilt at a show they would judge you on the quilting stitches. If you would applique a quilt then you would hide the stitches. I made a paper piece wall hanging for my daughter and I didn't want to see stitches on the front of it so I used transparent thread and sewed with the sewing machine.
Old 10-28-2011, 07:26 AM

I was just curious. Maybe a technique I got confused with. Its been years so there is no telling how many things im mixing up in techniques.
Old 10-28-2011, 08:12 AM
Power Poster

Welcome to the board from Missouri. Good question and great answers. That's what this board is about. Getting and giving help.and having fun. Enjoy it Mary
Old 10-28-2011, 10:38 AM

Sandy, I'm like you, hadn't quilted in 20 years then came back to it. I thought I knew it all......no way, I didn't know much at all, but in the last two years on this board, I have learned more than I'll ever do in my lifetime. But still want to learn more. Just stay with this board and you will be amazed. Someone on here can ALWAYS answer your questions. So just hang in there with us.
Old 10-28-2011, 10:49 AM

Thanks Mary! I am impressed with the knowledge. I think ill stick around! ;)

Hi Katie! I know what you mean. I onces owned a seamstress shop in Houston, Texas. Thats when I was doing a lot of quilting but it wasnt my mainstay. I was a designer of formal wear and created custom designed wedding dresses and formals. What a job! My fancy was quilting in my spare time but I was by no means a proffesional at it. I just really enjoyed it and made some really pretty quilts. I sold quite a few to mostly parents of the bridzillas which made it all worth while.
I had a stroke in 2009 and my memory has slipped a bit on my past knowledge so in a way it is like starting from scratch but not totally.
Thanks for the warm welcome! You guys are getting me all excited about quilting again!
Old 10-28-2011, 10:57 AM

I forgot to metion in my profile, my husband and I are musicians. He plays a killer base, I play guitar and keyboard and sing. We play classic rock, a little country, blues and folk music along with some originals. I'll be 60 y/o in March. My avitar photo was taken this past summer in Bryan/ College Station, Texas at one of our gigs. It was something like 110* out that evening. Ack!
Old 10-28-2011, 04:23 PM
Power Poster

Sandy we almost share a birthday. Mine is the 14th of march.I am a couple years older.I'm always the older one.lol I love the old rock n roll of the 50's and rock of the 60"s now I like country cause it is alot like the old rock n roll and rock.110* at night! wow I hate it when it gets over 80*. Mary