Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Question about quilting space >

Question about quilting space

Question about quilting space

Old 07-30-2023, 11:54 AM

Default Question about quilting space

I'm walking-foot quilting, in the ditch, on a small quilt. I used a Pellon batting. Their site says it needs to be quilted every 10". That seems like a lot, but it would be perfect for this quilt. Otherwise, I'll have to come up with something attractive to fill some blank space. The space is 9" corner to corner. I'll have to develop a skill to do that, so the quilt won't get finished right away. Would you take a chance and leave that space blank? The quilt is going to my grand-niece.

bkay
Old 07-30-2023, 12:00 PM

If your unquilted space is 9", that's fine. Good to go!

With the batting site saying that you shouldn't have more than 10" of unquilted space and you are an inch under that at 9", you are good with what you have, no need to fill the space unless you want to.

Last edited by quiltsfor; 07-30-2023 at 12:06 PM.
Old 07-30-2023, 12:24 PM

You are following the guidelines for the batting being used. I did that on a queen size quilt. The size made it heavier. Every time I tried to move the quilt I heard threads popping. Yep! You guessed it. The quilting was adequate to keep the batting in place, but handling the quilt put too much stress on the seams and they popped. Instead of just trying to fix my original quilting lines, I added about double what I had before. There were no spaces larger than 4 inches without quilting. No more thread popping. I'm now a member of the "more quilting is better" club.

I don't wash my fabrics before I sew them. Closer quilting helps when some fabrics shrink more than others. The quilting sort of evens it all out.
Old 07-30-2023, 03:43 PM
Power Poster

If you mean that the block is 9" side to side, then you have more than 10" on the diagonal. I personally prefer quilting lines to be much closer than the minimum required. The batting may hold together just fine at 10", but the fabric will soon look wrinkled, and not in a good way.
Old 07-31-2023, 12:55 AM

I would add more quilting. Hold the quilt up and see where or how it "bags." You can take some masking tape and use it to create horizontal and vertical lines to quilt along. Or go diagonally among the blocks. Both methods will secure the batting a little more firmly.
Old 08-01-2023, 10:49 PM

I am in the more quilting, the better quilting camp.