Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
question about selvages >

question about selvages

question about selvages

Old 02-22-2015, 07:01 AM

Default question about selvages

I recently ran out of white Andover Dimples fabric in the middle of a project. I didn't think it would be difficult to find more. I ordered several yards of ww white from an online store, and when it arrived it looked more cream than white. I located another online store that advertised that it had all the colors of dimples fabric. Before ordering, I called and asked which color was WHITE. I was assured that the same color number ww I had ordered from the previous store was Clorox White. I ordered it and yes, it was white. Here is my question. I now have three fabrics, all sold under the same Andover number, all with three distinctively different selvages. The selvage from the local quilt store is finished, no frayed edges, clearly marked with the company/product name. The "cream" selvage is frayed with a blue thread and no company name. The selvage from the third store is frayed, but displays the company/product name. Does someone on this board know if there is any significance to these discrepancies? I have doubts that the "cream" fabric is really Andover Dimples but I need some facts before I make accusations. Thanks to anyone who read through this long story, and I appreciate your help.
Old 02-22-2015, 07:08 AM

Hmm... interesting. I would guess the cream one is an imposter! Maybe you could contact the online store and ask if your purchase can be returned. It is possible that it was an honest mistake, but they should know it is not correct.
Old 02-22-2015, 08:04 AM
Power Poster

It's my understanding that fabric is like knitting yarn. With knitting yarn, you need to purchase all you need for a specific project from the same dye lot, because the color can be different from one run to another. Same color number. If they have multiple runs of the fabric, the colors may be different. The only lines I know of where the manufacturer strives to keep colors consistent from one run to another are the 'name' solids, like Bella and Kona.
Old 02-22-2015, 08:45 AM
Power Poster

Yes, dye lots can have some variation like yarn but if you buy fabric from some stores that are NOT a quilt store, some of the fabric may be "second" quality fabric. These fabric have been rejected under quality control of the manufacturer and sold to jobbers who then resell the fabric to mostly chain stores. Buyer beware.
Old 02-22-2015, 03:13 PM

I have always been told that fabrics are printed in several grades. Those that are sold in quilt shops are printed on better blank fabric that the fabric that is printed for box stores. Not sure if this is true or not. It is the same print just on different fabric.
Old 02-22-2015, 03:56 PM

Interesting! It does sound like the cream one without any name on the selvage sounds like a fake. I wonder if there is a way to contact customer service at Andover and ask them? I don't think I would shop at the store that sold you the no name cream fabric again however.