Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Question about serger >

Question about serger

Question about serger

Old 12-30-2011, 05:56 PM

Originally Posted by jcrow View Post
I have an expensive serger but every time I try to use it, the threads break. I can't thread it myself because it seems so daunting. I take it to the shop I bought it at and the gal there threads it. I finally just put it in the closet because I couldn't finish one project without the threads breaking and the gal at the store acted tired of threading my serger for me.
you mentioned this before ... did you use the order i suggested in that thread?
Old 12-31-2011, 06:28 AM

It depends upon what model of Huskylock it is - my first serger was a used Huskylock and it was INSANE to thread. I mean real tears! Gosh, that was the most frustrating bit of machinery I've ever touched. Once you got it sewing, it was great, but getting it threaded - Lord, have mercy!

Then I got a used Babylock 400 serger and I liked that all right, but it was a bear to thread and it didn't do some of the things I wanted it to do.

So I bought the very cheap Brother 1034D on walmart.com - less than $200 and I use it all the time. It's so easy to thread, I can almost do it with my eyes closed. Changing to a narrow rolled hem takes seconds. It's quite a bit noisier than some of the very expensive sergers, but I'm not using it for hours at a time, so I just put up with it.

Whatever you buy, make sure that it will be easy to thread. It takes the fun out of it when you have to spend an hour threading and re-threading before you can even use the machine.

This being a used machine, it may be elderly enough that it doesn't even have a differential feed. There are a lot of normal sewing situations which require that differential, so make sure it has that.

Good luck and have fun!
Old 12-31-2011, 01:39 PM

Thumbs up Sergers

I have a Babylock Serger which I absolutely love. It is self threading (for the loopers) & for anyone who sews I feel a Serger is a necessity. I cannot imagine sewing without one. Have had Singers in the past but the quality of the Babylock is by far superior. Just my opinion.
Old 01-01-2012, 05:05 AM

Santa brought me a the Brother 1034D for Christmas, I have watched a couple videos on this particular machine and can't wait to actually sit down and get to know it. It's like with anything new, I am hoping once we are pass that new stage we will become best buds.
Old 01-01-2012, 10:48 AM

I have a serger that is about 20yrs old that I use to use for making clothes. I havent used if for almost as many yrs. I've been thinking lately about getting back into it but not sure if I have the instructions to the old simplicity or not and if it still works; it used to. I have a friend who serges around her quilt tops once they are completd until she has time to quilt them. She can see in a moment is they are finished tops or not and it protects them from raveling while they are waiting to be finished.
Old 01-07-2012, 06:29 PM

Default Serger

I have a Brother serger I got from my mom and the thing has never worked correctly. I took it to my service guy and he got it working but it didnt last long. So today I went to the store and bought a used Bernina serger. It looks a lot easier to work with than the Brother. So put me on your prayer lists ladies. Hopefully this one will be a pleasure to work with!!!!! Im trying to make blankets and pockets for those little ones who dont make through birth. Our OBGYN ward in our local hospital needs something respectful for these little ones. I wanted a serger to keep the thin fabric from raveling.
Old 01-07-2012, 06:47 PM

I can't imagine doing without a serger for clothing construction. There are just too many threads for me to want to use it for quilting, but there is nothing better for making knit clothing. I made so many knit tshirts and sweatshirts for my children! I also made a lot of slacks, or at least most of the construction was done on the serger.

Those who say a serger is hard to thread need more practice. Some definitely are harder to thread than others, but mostly it is a matter of lots of practice. The sequence of threading is absolutely critical, or at least they have been on the sergers I have owned. In the serger classes at my LQS, they make the new owners thread the machines from scratch 8-10 times in the class! I think that is the only way to really get good at it.

Pam
Old 01-07-2012, 06:57 PM

I have a Brother and it has served me well. I use it for napkins, baby contour (fitted) sheets and anything else for a more finished look. Once you get the threading down the rest is a breeze.
Old 01-08-2012, 06:20 AM

I had a serger for about 5 years before I broke down and took a class, now I can't imagine sewing without one. Find a good class (our instuctor made us unthread and rethread our machines until we could do it without breaking into a sweat) before she began showing us how to use it. Then start using it - try this one:
http://www.sewvac1.com/Library/serger_baby_quilt.htm, I have made several including one in batik flannels, that everyone loves, even donated one for our Christmas Bazaar at church, it brought in a nice chunk of change! You will soon wonder how you ever sewed without a serger.
Old 01-08-2012, 04:53 PM

I bought a serger Elna pro4 dc at a thrift store for $100 problem is no pedal. It will cost me another $80 to buy a pedal. Is the serger worth the extra cost. Anyone?