Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Question about sewing machines >

Question about sewing machines

Question about sewing machines

Old 05-08-2017, 06:15 AM

In a perfect world, it's nice to have one computerized and once mechanical machine. IMHO there is no workhorse like a mechanical machine and no pleasure like having so much fancy potential at your fingertips! If I could have only one, it might be mechanical. With today's models, almost anyone can have both.
Old 05-08-2017, 06:25 AM

I think that most machines today are in some way 'computerized'. This allows for you to simply put in a number to get a stitch design all the way up to having a machine do everything for you. I have several very old machines that I love - very mechanical, very metal and sturdy. I bought a new machine a couple years ago because of the buttonhole feature (the presser foot that does it all!). It also comes with 90 stitch designs and while I thought I would mainly use it for clothing, I find it is my go to machine. It doesn't have all the bells and whistles that some machines have, but the needle down, the detachable table, the stitch designs and the assortment of feet are wonderful. It was supposed to be about $450, but I waited for a sale and got it for $250. It is well worth the full price. I have now set the tensions on one of the old ones strictly for heavy denim and canvas and another just for the vinyl work I do. No more messing around changing things.
Old 05-08-2017, 07:04 AM

I've been reading about the Eversewn Sparrow, and I recently got to see one of the mechanical models at a Quilt Show. The vendor told me there is supposed to be a new model coming out that is supposed to have the scissor feature. I asked what the price will be for the new model, but she didn't have any more info.
Old 05-08-2017, 07:16 AM

I still love my 1957 Singer 401A. I has a multitude of stitches (manual) but it is a work horse and sews like a tank over thick materials. That was the last year for all metal parts,l so if you can find one of those, you will be lucky indeed.
Old 05-08-2017, 07:57 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by carolynjo View Post
I still love my 1957 Singer 401A. I has a multitude of stitches (manual) but it is a work horse and sews like a tank over thick materials. That was the last year for all metal parts,l so if you can find one of those, you will be lucky indeed.
YESSSS! I have one too.