Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: A question about a substitution for clothesline in projects.

Question A question about a substitution for clothesline in projects.

Just finished a class that used the cotton clothesline in it. I am wondering is there something else I can use that would work equally as well as the clothesline. In this area there is only one store and it is a quilting store, where I can buy it. I have to start checking the hardware stores. I am thinking that any cord would work as long as it is not solid as regular clothesline is with the metal wire inside of it. Any thoughts on this?

I live in the boonies and had a hard time getting ahold of some. I did find that Walmart and a quilt store had it. I couldn't find any that wasn't poly in the hardware store. I used a coupon and got it way cheaper at the quilt store. I have enough on hand now that I won't run out any time soon.
    enjoy your life...it's the only one you have!!!
    Heather

Power Poster
    I get mine in the $ Store in the auto/hardware aisle for $2. Check at yours but someone on here mentioned another method that uses strips of quilt batt. Search some of the clothesline basket posts for information on it?

Ace hardware has cotton clothesline - but look in the rope section.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    cotton is better for your machine needle to go through!

Thanks for the information, will certainly look when I am out.

Blog Entries
    Thanks for posting the question. I'm also having a hard time finding 100% cotton. $ store and ACE here I come.
    Joyce

Four things you can't recover: The stone.....after the throw. The word......after its said. The occasion.....after its missed. The time......after its gone

Ace Hardware in my area has it also!!
    Penny aka PLS 1946

Blog Entries
    I have used the poly sold at Walmart. It works fine for bowls and totes and very washable. I have used regular 1/4" rope non wrapped for a rustic bowl. Looks very Westernly. When I do see cotton clothesline I buy a lot.
    Got fabric?

Just picked up some 3/16 X 100 ft at WalMart - must look in the Rope Section. It was under $4 and comes on a handled storage holder. 100% Cotton Diamon Braided Cord by Secure Line DH needed a short bit so I have the rest to play with bowls.

Small town in Northeast Oregon close to Washington and Idaho
    Blog Entries
    I have to go to town today and I'm hitting Walmart to buy the 3/16x100 ft of 100% cotton diamon braided cord. Sounds like a deal to me. I've never worked with any clothes line for any project, but I've always wanted to make a basket. Today sounds like a good day to start. I need to find a "free" pattern online or on this site. Anyone know of any? Seems like I saw one here a while back. How would I find it again?
    "Be yourself...everyone else is taken."
    Strong people don't put others down...they build them up."
    "Remember that your instincts are more important than rules"

Depending on what you are making, Auntie's Two creator, Carol, has a method for using leftover batting in place of clothesline.

Blog Entries
    ace hardware, walmart,k-mart, the dollar store (in the laundry department) are all places to find cotton clothesline.
    hiding away in my stash where i'm warm, safe and happy

Quote Originally Posted by Handcraftsbyjen View Post
    Depending on what you are making, Auntie's Two creator, Carol, has a method for using leftover batting in place of clothesline.
    Not sure where I would look for the Auntie's Two for replacing the clothesline with batting. Thanks for any and all help.

Thought the name was familiar. That is the rug I took a class for, the thing with it is that the clothesline was so thick, it made it very difficult to sew in the end. Especially when it came time to do the binding. Also, I see on another site they have a pattern for a knotty basket, it is made with stips of craf tex? Has anyone done one with this stripping. They are cute, too.

i bought some online at create for less it was really reasonable too. but i never thought about rope ill have to check that out, thanks for the info.
    carla

Quote Originally Posted by judylg View Post
    Not sure where I would look for the Auntie's Two for replacing the clothesline with batting. Thanks for any and all help.
    You should be able to find Auntie's Two patterns at your LQS. One pattern that traces you to use your leftover batting in place of clothesline is the Bailey Island Hobo Bag.