Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
question about table runners >

question about table runners

question about table runners

Old 07-01-2017, 11:36 AM

Default question about table runners

I have never made a table runner or table topper before. My son asked me to make a table runner for his new dresser. Do you put batting in it. Won't it make it easier for things to topple over? Would a layer of flannel be better? Is dense quilting better or worse. What do you do?
Old 07-01-2017, 11:49 AM

I usually use fusible fleece. It is thin but gives a bit of padding. Flannel would work but shrink it first because flannel can shrink a lot!! As for quilting--as little or as much as you want. Also, you can birth the runner instead of binding it if you want. Or this might be a good time to try a QAG piece.
Old 07-01-2017, 12:14 PM
Power Poster

I usually just use my regulars 80/20 quilt batt. Unless you are putting a vase of flowers with water In them, the're really isn't any problem with something tipping over.
Old 07-01-2017, 12:43 PM
Power Poster

i use regular batting in my table toppers. the amount of quilting is personal preference
Old 07-01-2017, 12:50 PM
Power Poster

My sister made one for me using Boston Bruins fabric. She put Warm and Natural batting in it and tied it instead of quilting. It looks great. There are many things on my coffee table and I have no problem with things falling over, (unless the cats push them a little).
Old 07-01-2017, 02:02 PM

I've done it both ways but as GingerK said if you use flannel be sure to pre-shrink it, maybe a couple of go-rounds because it does shrink a LOT! Batting is fine and it doesn't matter if you quilt it a lot or a little, I've never had anything topple that I've set on them (even a vase of flowers) and I use W&N for batting. Just do what you want and have fun!
Old 07-01-2017, 03:17 PM

If you use a thin batting or pre-shrunk flannel you should be fine.

How nice that your son asked you to make one for him!! Does he normally keep many "tippy" things on his dresser? My issue would be the glass of wine I like to drink as I'm folding the laundry...
Old 07-01-2017, 06:04 PM

I made a table runner for my kitchen table with Warm & Natural. It worked fine most of the time. The next time, I might try a layer of the cheapy felt they sell on the bolt at JAF (it's made from recycled milk cartons). It is denser than batting, but thicker than flannel fabric. I also know some people who simply do 2 layers -- the quilt top & a bottom layer of felt -- and then quilt through those 2 layers, and then bind it. No reason one needs to have 3 layers for a "quilt" unless you're entering a competition.
Old 07-01-2017, 07:35 PM

Pellon fleece sold in the interfacing section of stores is wonderful - gives a little loft and lots of body, but not tipsy. Comes fusible and non. I use the non. I wouldn't want to quilt a runner without something in it.
Old 07-02-2017, 02:20 AM

Smile Flannel used for this table runner

Flannel works well but the quilting designs don't stand out like they would with batting. If you use batting, make sure it is low loft and you will be fine. Have fun!
Attached Thumbnails pumpkin-table-runner.jpg