Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
question about types of fabric >

question about types of fabric

question about types of fabric

Old 03-31-2011, 01:26 AM

Yesterday I went and picked up boxes and boxes and more boxes of fabric from this very nice lady (I had to take them all)..She told me that she is a hoarder and is in the process of trying to get rid of things..She has a professional working with her in the house getting things organized .Some of the fabrics are very old and some not so old, some has stains that I am not sure that can be removed..Quite alot are knit type of fabrics..There is so many types of fabric that I am actually over whelmed..My question is what types of fabrics can actually be used in quilts? Some of these fabrics are beautiful..I know there is silk, knit, poly, cotton, cotton blends, denim, sear sucker..ect...
Old 03-31-2011, 01:34 AM
Power Poster

Crazy quilts use all kinds of fabrics. Many people use different kinds of fabrics. Many years ago people used what they could get, they didn't run to the store to purchase fabric.
I only use cotton, denim, flannel, and fleece but that is what I buy when I need fabric. Silk makes gorgeous quilts, but I have never used it because of the price. I wouldn't use knit because personally I don't want to deal with the stretchiness. My first quilt was a stack and whack with a cotton and a poly blend. It was okay I just don't like the boring colors in it.
Old 03-31-2011, 02:47 AM

I'd pass on the knits and wait and see on the others, you never know. When you wash them, get rid of anything that goes wonky when washed or stain doesn't go. So nice of you to take all the material to help. Think in the end you will have stash for years. good luck
Old 03-31-2011, 02:57 AM

Don't get it near your stash til it's washed. I wouldn't even put it in the house yet. Knits can be fused to a lightweight fusible but I'd give them to someone who has a serger. Knit tops are so easy.
Old 03-31-2011, 03:18 AM

Originally Posted by quilticing
Don't get it near your stash til it's washed. I wouldn't even put it in the house yet. Knits can be fused to a lightweight fusible but I'd give them to someone who has a serger. Knit tops are so easy.
They never made into my house..I sat outside going thru boxes and tossing away probably about 3 huge garbage bags of fabric that can not be used ( my neighbors were probably wondering what in the world I was up too) ..I have about 6 bags that I have that will be washed.. Some of this fabric is very pretty and hopefully someone will be able to use them..I am going to try and post pictures of them after they are washed..
Old 03-31-2011, 03:22 AM

Originally Posted by scrapykate
I'd pass on the knits and wait and see on the others, you never know. When you wash them, get rid of anything that goes wonky when washed or stain doesn't go. So nice of you to take all the material to help. Think in the end you will have stash for years. good luck
Hopefully not too many will go wonky :-D ..There is so MANY fabrics that I will probably never use them..I may and will probably try to find a good home for them :wink:
Old 03-31-2011, 03:50 AM

Hi,
As for the silk fabrics, they are not so good in lap quilts or bed quilts because silk frays alot, and it's also not machine-washable.
I've seen some very pretty wall-hangings or decorative pillows that use silk fabric (they don't need to be washed as frequently). The silk had to be fused onto another fabric first though for the fraying issues.
Old 03-31-2011, 04:13 AM

I get lots of different types of fabric when I'm buying fun bags at the local thrift store. It's mostly cotton but there is always one or two knits or satin pieces. I segregate them, bundle them up and sell them on ebay. Often the doll clothing people buy it.
Old 03-31-2011, 04:18 AM
Power Poster

The knits could be used for pet bedding, or you could make some tops with it. Nice find, cant wait to see pictures!
Old 03-31-2011, 04:19 AM
Power Poster

The knits could be used for pet bedding, or you could make some tops with it. Nice find, cant wait to see pictures!