Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Question about use of Puff Quilt for new baby >

Question about use of Puff Quilt for new baby

Question about use of Puff Quilt for new baby

Old 08-31-2015, 11:00 AM

Default Question about use of Puff Quilt for new baby

This recent discussion about Puff Quilt for a baby brings up a big question I have regarding their use with a newborn. I had made one a few yrs back that I still had. When a friend who was about to become a grandfather for the first time saw it he asked to buy it. I wanted to just give it to him but suddenly I was concerned about the smothering possibility for a newborn. I told him of my concern & told him I'd make him a diff one which I did. I felt guilty about not giving the Puff to him that I still gave it after the baby was born.

What are your opinions about the smothering possibilities of a Puff Quilt?

pat
Old 08-31-2015, 11:38 AM

They don't put any blankets on newborns, until about a year. I made the DIL one she still hasn't used.
Old 08-31-2015, 12:37 PM
Power Poster

My niece was given one as a shower gift and she had not problem. Baby laid on the puffs and grooves between each puff had plenty of room to breath. Have seen videos of her Jeannie and she rolls all over the place with it. Other day she had a large piece of bubble plastic and she and her brother just giggled repeatedly all over it. Then she rolled and put it away. Jeannnie is 7-8 months and loves her 'Itty". The quilt is a 'HELLO KITTY".
Old 08-31-2015, 12:41 PM

Oops I should have thought of this point. My thinking wasn't to cover a baby but to lay them on top. I was picturing a baby who couldn't turn over yet. People often tend to lay them on their tummies & there could be a breathing problem on the puffs. I tend to overthink things & try to anticipate what others might do.
Old 08-31-2015, 12:51 PM

Originally Posted by Pat G View Post
Oops I should have thought of this point. My thinking wasn't to cover a baby but to lay them on top. I was picturing a baby who couldn't turn over yet. People often tend to lay them on their tummies & there could be a breathing problem on the puffs. I tend to overthink things & try to anticipate what others might do.
New rule now is never put baby on tummy...always on back....I guess til they're old enough to do it themselves? I'm from old school....we put baby on tummy or back.....
Old 08-31-2015, 02:05 PM

Never put a new baby on the tummy to sleep, but when they're awake and alert you're suppose to lay them on their tummy to develop back and neck muscles. No one should walk off and leave a new baby alone during tummy time. Maybe the Puff quilt should't be used for that until baby is a little older. But it would be comfy for lying on their back.
Old 09-02-2015, 03:58 AM
Power Poster

It is the times we live in that we need to be concern over anything that might injury a baby or child. I climbed out of my crib and no one could figure out how I did it.