Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Question about using my machine >

Question about using my machine

Question about using my machine

Old 07-21-2017, 06:12 PM

Default Question about using my machine

Hi all, I am attempting to practice my free motion quilting, but ran into a problem with dropping my feed dogs. The manual on my machine says it can be done by turning the stitch length dial, but the wheel won't turn that far. It goes all the way around in either direction, but stops just before the setting I need to drop my feed dogs. I have tried to gently force it, but don't want to break my machine!

I use an older machine that belonged to my grandmother, a Dressmaker 8102FA. It has been an awesome little machine over the years, and takes everything I have thrown at it so far. There is a phone number on the manual, which google tells me belongs to Nelco Sewing Machine Sales. no website or anything to show that they are still in business...this machine may be as old as i am, if not older.

What would be my best option from here on out? Repair shop? Forcing the knob? Sticking to straight line quilting? Has anyone else ever dealt with this kind or problem before?

thanks in advance!
Old 07-21-2017, 06:14 PM
Power Poster

I actually prefer to free motion quilt with the feed dogs up and stitch length set to 0. Gives me better control. I would try that first.
Old 07-21-2017, 06:30 PM

If you post your question with a picture of your machine in the Vintage Machines forum, someone there may be able to help you.
Old 07-22-2017, 02:18 AM

I have free motioned on my FW and can't lower the feed dogs. I covered them with an index card secured with painters tape. It worked like a charm.
Old 07-22-2017, 04:58 AM

A lot of people prefer free motion leaving their feed dogs up. I wouldn't worry about lowering them. I was surprised when I saw that Leah Day even left them up!
Old 07-22-2017, 05:15 AM
Power Poster

I definitely wouldn't try to force it. I also keep my feed dogs up. Heard that from Leah Day and when I tried it I was happily surprised. It's so nice that you have your Grandmother's machine!!!!
Old 07-22-2017, 05:46 AM

Originally Posted by Prism99 View Post
I actually prefer to free motion quilt with the feed dogs up and stitch length set to 0. Gives me better control. I would try that first.
I prefer to leave my feed dogs up as well. I looser the pressure on the pressure foot.
Old 07-22-2017, 07:29 AM

Originally Posted by Annababy View Post
I have free motioned on my FW and can't lower the feed dogs. I covered them with an index card secured with painters tape. It worked like a charm.
This sounds like a good fix. Also, have you checked through your accessories for the machine? Some machines have a needle plate that is designed to cover the feed dogs.
Old 07-22-2017, 07:42 AM
Power Poster

I read an article in a quilt magazine a long time ago that said leaving feed dogs up when free motion will eventually damage the machine. I don't remember the reason it would. I guess it was proven wrong as I have not heard any machine repair say not to. If they even know the feed dogs are left up if you free motion. I asked the repairman that fixed my Brother and he just said the feeddogs are made to drop for a reason. But he didn't have a clue.
Old 07-22-2017, 08:12 AM

The only way I can see it would damage the machine is if the feed dogs are impeded from moving. As long as they can still move back and forth, there shouldn't be any damage and if your stitch length is set to 0, they're not going to move much anyway so not much worry. I was always told that if you couldn't drop your feed dogs and you had trouble with catching the fabric on them, just cover them up as Annababy said.