Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Question about using sweatshirt for backing >

Question about using sweatshirt for backing

Question about using sweatshirt for backing

Old 11-03-2013, 04:17 AM

Default Question about using sweatshirt for backing

I am making a "cheater quilt" for my sister for Christmas. I call it a cheater quilt because there will be virtually no piecing - just a fabric panel for the front (same fabric only pieced to make the width correct) and a solid panel for the back. My question is about the sweatshirt fabric that I am using for the backing. Its is a solid panel described as "polyester sweatshirt". It does have some stretch to it. Will I need to put interfacing on this - or will it be fine as is since I am not piecing anything. I will just quilt the 2 layers together and then bind. I probably won't even use batting. What do you guys think?
Old 11-03-2013, 04:28 AM

For this kind of quilt..I think it would be just fine. Because it does have some stretch, be careful sewing. Be sure to pin or spray baste. This type of fabric should have warmth, so you could go without interfacing. Especially since there will be no real 'quilting'. Seems like a fun 'quickie'..enjoy! My girlfriend is always making 'quilts' very similiar to this & hers' seem to come out great! Even when I politely don't say anything, but shake my head..they come out great! Have fun!
Old 11-03-2013, 04:29 AM
Power Poster

Great question! Hope someone has some actual experience with this fabric. Folks use minkee and fleece, both of which have quite a bit of give, no stabilizer, just use lots of pins in the sandwich.
Old 11-03-2013, 04:34 AM

Thanks for your thoughts.. I have used Minkee this has more stretch than the Minkee....
Old 11-03-2013, 05:32 AM

I don't think you will need stablilizer....you will just need to be careful when quilting....use a walking foot or pin the sandwich well.....I made one with minkee and glue basted the sandwich .....had no problems quilting because the glue holds the fabric in place very well....I would recommend using glue!
Old 11-03-2013, 05:41 AM

Thanks for your thoughts - I just started using Elmer's glue (thanks to suggestions here) and I love it. It so much cheaper and doesn't smell or overspray. I am sure that I will be using the glue on this one as well