Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: A question aimed at DJ fans, but open to all

A question aimed at DJ fans, but open to all

Hi
    We have a challenge on in our quilt group to make a red and white "quilt" for Christmas. After given it some thought I'm hoping to make a table centre piece type thing. What I want to know is, would 6 of the corner pieces make a complete "circle" (please excuse my inability to get the wording right because my fibrofog is making string a sentence together difficult today).

Or how many of the triangle pieces would it take to make a centrepiece.

Hopefully you'll know what I'm trying to say.

thanks

Mags x
    Smile - it confuses people

If I understand your question, you can use 6 pieces as long as they are cut with a 60 degree ruler. If you wanted to have 8 pieces, you would have to cut them each 45 degrees wide. The full circle is 360 degrees, so you have to have pieces that add up to that.

Does this make sense? If so, does it answer your question?
    I'd rather be at the lake

Do one thing every day that scares you... Eleanor Roosevelt

Blog Entries
    if you are referring to the kites in the four corners of the dear jane quilt, the answer is no.
    Nancy in western NY
    before you speak T.H.I.N.K.
    T is it True? H is it Helpful? I is it Inspiring? N is it Necessary? K is it Kind?

Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here we might as well dance.

kites - thank you, that's the word I was looking for. Well one of the words I was looking for.

And thank you Irish, your answer does make sense. Which kind of changes my question to "Does anybody know what are the angles on the kites and triangles in the DJ quilt (without me going to measure them)? I will go and get the book out or the CD, or even a bit of online research, but atm I'm watching the Wimbledon final.
    Smile - it confuses people

Blog Entries
    The angles are not "standard" so will not do it, but you maybe could draw up the kite size that will work and adapt some of the DJ patterns to fit. Good luck!
    http://s1248.photobucket.com/albums/hh485/KitsieH/
    Never regret growing older, its a privilege denied to many.
    Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.

Kitsie

Instead of planning a circular pattern, why not do a square or rectangular table topper, using your DJ kites and triangles?
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Sew many ideas ... just sew little time!!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

If you want to be accurate, you should measure your angles with a compass protractor or protractor. HOWEVER, you can get a general idea of the angles needed, by tracing a circle (dinner plate or whatever) and then carefully folding it into half, quarters, etc.
    Neesie

By all means let's be open-minded, but not so open-minded that our brains drop out.
    ~Richard Dawkins