Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Question for all you smart quilters >

Question for all you smart quilters

Question for all you smart quilters

Old 10-09-2011, 12:48 PM

That is what the chart shows. Sorry I can't wrap my mind around this, but your answer is still to increase the measurements by 120% How do you figure out in inches or MMs what 120% is?

Did you mean increase each piece 1.2"?

To turn a 10" block into a 12" block the chart shows to enlarge the pattern 120%. 10 x 1.20 = 12 so you would have to enlarge each template or measurement for each piece in a 10" block by 120% before seam allowances.
Old 10-09-2011, 12:59 PM

Originally Posted by sewhappy30
Originally Posted by Rhaorth
Yes that is it, thank you.
very welcome, very pretty quilt
Old 10-09-2011, 01:07 PM

ok I looked up the link and it appears that this pattern can be translate very easy. here's the link that I found
http://www.e-patternscentral.com/det...l?prod_id=6870

It looks to me like each block is done with 4 four patch blocks so to make them 12" square you need to make the 4 patches squares unfinished size of 6 1/2" square so each little square should be cut as 3 1/2".

Hope this makes sense and helps.
Old 10-09-2011, 01:38 PM

The very best thing to do is enlarge the 10inch pattern, try with 15-29% until it comes out to the desired size you want. I have seen tables that show exactly how much to enlarge to get the desired size, same can be done to make smaller. If you try adding to all the pieces, you will have a mess on your hands. Happy Quilting. Renee Slarve
Old 10-09-2011, 02:00 PM

Originally Posted by seasaw2mch
ok I looked up the link and it appears that this pattern can be translate very easy. here's the link that I found

It looks to me like each block is done with 4 four patch blocks so to make them 12" square you need to make the 4 patches squares unfinished size of 6 1/2" square so each little square should be cut as 3 1/2".

It isn't 4patches. The upper right of the block is a triangle unit. The lower left of the block is a triangle unit. The other corners are squares. There are five squares across and five squares down. That's why I said 3" patches would result in a 12-1/2" block. This is basically a variation of the triple Irish chain.
Old 10-09-2011, 02:05 PM

Originally Posted by catmcclure
Originally Posted by seasaw2mch

It isn't 4patches. The upper right of the block is a triangle unit. The lower left of the block is a triangle unit. The other corners are squares. There are five squares across and five squares down. That's why I said 3" patches would result in a 12-1/2" block. This is basically a variation of the triple Irish chain.

Oh! ok I didn't see that guess my eyes aren't as good as they use to be.
Old 10-09-2011, 03:16 PM

Originally Posted by DogHouseMom
No. You are forgetting the seam allowances as you are talking about finished sizes.

Also, were you just planning on putting a border around each block? Or increasing each of the elements in the block to make the whole block larger?

If you want to add a border around each block to increase the FINISHED size from 10" to 12" then you need to add a 1.5" strip around each side.

10" + 1.5" + 1/5" less seam allowences (4 of them 2 each side of the 10" where joined to the strip and 1 each end of the strip to "finish" ) = 12" block

If you want to increase the size of each element within the block to make the whole block bigger then you need to work out the math for each individual element. If it's a 4 patch you can probably do this simply (because 4 is divisible by 2), but if it is a 3 or a 5 patch ... you will be working in other fractions.

What block are you trying to increase?
Ditto I was going to remind you of the seam allowances, but someone already has.
Old 10-09-2011, 03:20 PM

If you take your printer and increase the size, a little at a time, until you have it measuring 12". Its what I have done in the past. then you just add 1/4 seam allowance to each edge of each piece with in the block.
Old 10-09-2011, 06:31 PM

working on the printer, by scanning pattern and gradually increasing the % until you get 12". good luck.
Old 10-10-2011, 10:19 AM

Used a piece of graph paper to enlarge the quilt block, remembering you seam allowance. You can enlarge any size block with excellent results when you use graph paper. You can also add color to the graph pattern to see if you like your choices of color/fabric. Blessings