Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Question for all you who do LA Quilting??? >

Question for all you who do LA Quilting???

Question for all you who do LA Quilting???

Old 01-07-2014, 05:19 AM

Default Question for all you who do LA Quilting???

I am almost finished with my " Oh My Gosh " quilt am wondering how in the world to quilt it. I do not care for meandering or stippling, except in small area's. What do you reccomend? Thanks for all your idea's in advance. Oh and sorry I do not know how to post pictures.
Old 01-07-2014, 05:38 AM

Are you planning too machine quilt it? How densely do you want it quilted?
Old 01-07-2014, 06:00 AM

Machine quilting, and not real dense as there are a lot of seams( very small pieces)
Old 01-07-2014, 06:05 AM

How about a grid or trellis design?
Old 01-07-2014, 06:13 AM
Power Poster

The OMGosh quilt is pretty much all about the piecing. Custom quilting could be done on it but because the piecing is so small you would have to ignore a lot of it and that may take away from the impact of the design. I would recommend finding an all over panto that you like and using that. You can view panto designs on line by doing a google search of panto designs. Here is a good source to start with: http://longarmquiltingsupplies.danem...y/pantographs/

If one hit my rack I would choose a fairly open panto, unless the piecing required denser quilting. I have had a few intensely pieced quilts (FWS) that required closer quilting because seams were missed or coming apart on the piecing so dense quilting was required to keep it together, quilt down fullness, etc.

A few other options for this quilt would be a simple straight line quilting done in a grid that bisects the 9P blocks that form the "irish chain" in the quilt; an all around all over design that seems to work on every single quilt I have seen it used on is the Baptist Fan pattern.

Edited to add, diagonal straight line quilting on a LA is more difficult than on a DSM so if you are going to send it out for LA quilting don't be surprised if that option is more expensive for you. You could do it yourself on a DSM with a walking foot. I think a panto, all over freehand feathers or swirls or baptist fan design would be your best option for LA

Last edited by feline fanatic; 01-07-2014 at 06:23 AM.
Old 01-07-2014, 06:19 AM

Ok, I did a Bing search of the quilt to study the images. An easy way would be to emphasize the small squares which form diagonal lines, and quilt a straight line down the middle of them. If you want more quiting, then quilt on either side of them, following the points. Then I would stitch in the ditch around each square of the Churn Dash block. After all that, the only part not quilted is the four "setting" triangles around each Churn Dash. Stitch in the Ditch is easier on a dsm than on a longarm---not sure what you're using. If a longarm, you could do continuous curves instead---much easier and faster on a la than s.i.t.d.
Old 01-07-2014, 06:41 AM

Thank you Feline Fanatic for all your idea's and advice. You sound like you know what your talking about. Thank you too for not answering my question with a lot of questions. I do not have any problems with my seams, so I am thinking I might go with the Baptist Fans, although I like the idea of the Grid also. Will decide as I finish up the quilt top. Thanks again for your time, I appreciate it.
Old 01-07-2014, 07:56 AM

I agree with Feline ...this quilt is all about the GAZILLION pieces! I would pick a neutral thread that will add texture without hitting you over the head. It is so busy, you will really have to look hard to see the quilts...as it should be. You want to show off all your piecing! I have thought about putting this quilt on my Bucket list as I LOVE Sue Garman. I have a couple big/complicated/many pieces quilts already purchased/started(!), so I will just tuck it away in my memory for a later date! Maybe it would be good leaders/enders project. How long do you think THAT would take!? lol
Old 01-07-2014, 08:57 AM
Power Poster

Here's a picture of one that includes a close-up of the quilting, which I think follows the lines recommended above and looks very nice - http://www.generations-quilt-pattern...osh-quilt.html
And here's one on the board with a Baptist fan - http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...ed-t84336.html
And here's one with gorgeous custom quilting - http://cactus-needle.blogspot.com/20...-quilt_27.html

Three different looks, all beautiful in my opinion.
Old 01-07-2014, 02:06 PM

Thanks for posting those links Dunster. I love the quilt..and not sure just how I would quilt it IF I finished it!