Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Question to anyone how will answer

What does everyone do with the quilts they make? I have made several and don't know what to do with them. any suggestions?

All but one of the many I have made have been given to family and friends. I kept the 1st one that I made.

I have covered all my beds, given them as Christmas and Birthday gifts and have some on my couches for lap robes.
    Everyone seems to love to get them as gifts.

yes, I have given most of them away, and haven't had a complaint yet :-) but running out of family and friends..LOL

i have 7 grand kids and 2 foster grand kids. also i make a baby quilt for each new baby at church. i have kept several for when the grands start getting married. that's just my immediate family.
    there are many nursing homes that would love to have hand made lap robes. also children's homes, shelters, veterans.
    keep sewing, there are lots of places your beautiful quilts will be most welcome.

I have made them as gifts for a specific reason and designed for a specific person. Several were charity quilts and will go to flood victims and a local women's shelter. I have only kept one. It was made to be ours and is in the family room for napping and chilly evenings.

A group in town here donated quilts to the city police, county sheriffs, highway patrol, fire departments, ambulances, and hospitals for little kids in need. Every officer has at least one homemade quilt in the trunk of their car. When they give the quilt away, they call the group and they get another one to them lickety split. When kids are going through a major trauma or crisis, the quilts are a God-send.

Here in Raleigh, there are two group homes for women to stay while waiting the birth of their baby. My sunday school classes donated a lot of quilts to them. There is also birth choice and the veterans group and nursing homes. All would be glad to receive quilts.

Thanks very much for your ideas..don't know why i didn't think of donating them. I'll check around and see what i find in my area...Thanks again for your help :-)

I read yours with interest CathyM, what a really great idea. All those people do such a fine job I know its not one I could do especially where the kids are involved. Good on ya Elle

HarleyBiker, I'll be your friend! :D :D I adore quilts! :D :D

I have given them all away. A couple of wallhangings remain but the full sized quilts are gifted out to friends and family.

usually bed quilts are either made for someone or with a charity in mind. My roommate now wants one. Wall and smaller ones are harder to find new homes for.

ALL of mine have been given as gifts. I havent kept any.
    Now, if you are having a problem with what to do with your, I'll gladly give you my address and you can send them here. They'll have a great home where they will be taken care of and loved very much. They will do much traveling and will want for nothing. :)

Wow, You all make me feel so selfish! I have kept all mine except for the baby quilts( but I have only completed 5 big quilts)

Don't feel like that! I have only made a few big quilts. Most of mine are lap quilts and baby quilts.

The baby quilts I do get alot of enjoyment out of giving, but boy my big ones after all the time spent in them it would hurt to give them away :cry:

Quote Originally Posted by mgshaw
    The baby quilts I do get alot of enjoyment out of giving, but boy my big ones after all the time spent in them it would hurt to give them away :cry:
    There have been a few that I actually cried over when I gave them away. Didn't really want to part with them, but hubby told me that I made them for the person, now I have to give it to them. NO!! I WANT TO KEEP IT!! lol
    I do ask them, if they don't want it anymore, would they please give it back to me. The people that I ask this of, they are usually friends and they always tell me yes, but would have to wait until they die. lol

I think if I was to give one of my big ones away, I would have to get visitation rights or something!

I also belong to a group and we make lap robes for the veterans hospital. We deliver over 100 of them every year at Christmas time.

Hospice care patients too. It gives comfort to the patient in their last days, and something for the family members to hold and be comforted by when their loved one passes. Nursing homes, Skilled Nursing facilities.

Quote Originally Posted by mgshaw
    I think if I was to give one of my big ones away, I would have to get visitation rights or something!
    LOL
    Well, the one I made for Courtney, I do have visitation to. I just go to her room and snatch it out!

Quite often I try new patterns out and decide that after I have made some of the required blocks that I will not complete a large quilt for some reason or other so I just make it into a small quilt to give to the dogs trust to sell as a car seat or couch quilt for a dog. that way I dont feel overwhelmed with unfinished projects.
    Katherine

Izy
    [quote=Cathy M]A group in town here donated quilts to the city police, county sheriffs, highway patrol, fire departments, ambulances, and hospitals for little kids in need. Every officer has at least one homemade quilt in the trunk of their car. When they give the quilt away, they call the group and they get another one to them lickety split. When kids are going through a major trauma or crisis, the quilts are a God-send.

Cathy what a very worthwhile cause :D

I have made several and still have not kept one. I give as gifts for family weddings, birthdays and baby showers. I also make quilts for the hospital NICU babies and Project Linus. There are always foster kids who would love them. One day I will keep one for myself...lol.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast