Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Question on Fabric Requirements >

Question on Fabric Requirements

Question on Fabric Requirements

Old 01-13-2020, 06:48 AM

Default Question on Fabric Requirements

I want to make some baby quilts using both the disappearing 4 and 9 patch blocks (not both in the same quilt). I already know how to make the blocks my question is in regards to the fabric requirements for the binding and backing of the quilt. I have not seen any direct patterns using these methods so how would I go about determining how much fabric to buy for a border and a backing, would it just be best to get the top done and then measure from there to figure out how much I need, thank you!!
Old 01-13-2020, 06:57 AM

I am probably the last quilter in the world who has never done a disappearing 4- or 9-patch so can't help directly with that.

If you are following regular instructions (as opposed to what I often do which is make things to the size of my scraps) there is probably somewhere a finished top size.

A lot of people make crib/baby blankets roughly 3x4 feet. I cannot seem to make a quilt smaller than 40" to save my life and it's hard for me to make a quilt small enough to fit within one width of fabric.

If you are going to start making these for donations (or just have a lot of babies to gift!) I would indeed just make the first one and go from there. Good luck with your projects.

Old 01-13-2020, 07:35 AM

I don’t know if this is any help to you but I have just finished a small, scrappy disappearing 4 patch charity quilt. (Trying to use up a stash of random squares).

I used 80 x 5” squares and the finished size is 32” x 40”.

The binding is made from 4 strips of fabric (44”).

I measured one of my completed blocks and was able to work out the number I needed for the whole quilt.
This also helped me calculate how much backing I would need.
Attached Thumbnails 67f59483-db55-4621-b0c8-73e09cd9e554.jpeg  

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 01-13-2020 at 01:36 PM. Reason: shouting/all caps
Old 01-13-2020, 07:49 AM

Not knowing what size your blocks will be, I would wait until the top is done. Then add borders to finish your quilt the size you prefer. For a baby quilt I try to keep it at 40” wide to avoid piecing the back. That said, I have an issue following my own suggestions
Old 01-13-2020, 07:55 AM

I would also just make the blocks, put them together and then measure and calculate your borders and backing. It's the easier way.
Old 01-13-2020, 08:05 AM

Originally Posted by Moira in N.E. England View Post
I don’t know if this is any help to you but I have just finished a small, scrappy disappearing 4 patch charity quilt. (Trying to use up a stash of random squares).

I measured one of my completed blocks and was able to work out the number I needed for the whole quilt.

This is a darling quilt. It will make some mom a very happy mom and keep a precious baby very warm.

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 01-13-2020 at 01:36 PM.
Old 01-13-2020, 08:07 AM

Since you haven't decided on the size of your quilt yet it would be wise to wait. You don't want to cut yourself short on backing fabric or have way to much. Once you have one finished you can use that as a guide for future references. Usually your binding will take only 4 -2 1/2" strips for a baby quilt.
Old 01-13-2020, 10:52 AM

Originally Posted by murphzmom View Post
I would it just be best to get the top done and then measure from there to figure out how much I need?
This would probably be the easiest way.
Old 01-13-2020, 01:19 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Moira in N.E. England View Post

That is beautiful, Moira!

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 01-13-2020 at 01:37 PM.
Old 01-13-2020, 06:15 PM
Power Poster

I make crib size quilts. The batting package says 45" x 60" and I try for 43" x 58". This is the size I normally donate. I make the backing a couple of inches more all the way around.