Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Question for fellow long armers >

Question for fellow long armers

Question for fellow long armers

Old 12-05-2016, 07:26 AM

Default Question for fellow long armers

I'm looking at updating my pricing for 2017. I am looking at the current average for my area and I'm charging quiet a bit under it. What do you guys charge/pay for quilting? I'm looking at going from 1.9 cents a sq inch to 2.6 Is that to much of a jump?
Old 12-05-2016, 08:05 AM
Power Poster

Depends on how you think about it. It's only $0.07 more, but it's a 36% increase. are there other quilters in your area you could compare pricing with? Be sure that you are comparing the same type quilting: pantos? computerized? hand guided?
You can also step it. Go to 2.2 for Jan-March, and then all the way up for the rest of the year. If you let your customers know about the pending increase, you might get more quilts earlier in the year than everyone piling on just before the holiday (which is what happens around here).

Last edited by PaperPrincess; 12-05-2016 at 08:08 AM.
Old 12-05-2016, 08:12 AM

I did upgrade the machine and it is now computerized. I compared the others here in the area with computerized machines and My new rate is still lower then them but not by much (less then half a penny/sq inch) plus I'm doing a lot more quilting on the quilts.
Old 12-05-2016, 08:22 AM

Each area charges differently. In my area, I must take into account what others charge and the fact that there are a lot of machine quilters in my area. Sounds like you have done your homework, so I'm sure whatever you come up with and works for you will be fine.
Old 12-05-2016, 11:45 PM

in my area (KS) most charge 1.50--1.75 for simple pantos (paper or digital) and go up from there. For more dense pantos/edge to edge, I charge 2cents/sq. inch--but I don't charge extra for # of bobbins used as some do. and for custom quilting, I start at 2.25cents/sq. inch and go up from there. Would add that there are a couple of area quilters that charge WAYYYY less--one charges $9/sq.foot and the other is more in that range.
Several of us just bumped up from the starting point on custom from 2 to 2 1/2cents per sq. inch

While many of us keep busy enough (I don't want to be doing too many customer quilts!), we are all seeing the impact of a number of area quilters purchasing sit down models, working on smaller projects that they quilt on their DSM, or even renting quilting time at some area shops. Are others noticing these trends?
Old 12-06-2016, 06:04 AM

I know in my area the Guild here has been doing a lot more classes on how to quilt on your domestic machine. Even with raising my prices I think i'm still less then most here so I think I'm ok. I guess only time will tell.
Old 12-07-2016, 06:33 AM

As a new longarm we with an old machine, I'm so glad you asked that question. It helps me have some perspective on price.