Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Question on Flying Geese

Question on Flying Geese

I would like to know what I,m doing wrong. I can make the geese with "no problem".
    When I join them into rows though, there isn't enough room for the 1/4" seam and I
    lose my points. Can someone help me find the answer.
    Thanks in advance.
    Elaine
    so many quilts to make, so little time.

Are you sure you are leaving 1/4'' for the seam? 6:34 minutes into the video she shows the 1/4" needed. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tKfM3pJYSmc Are you sewing more than 1/4" for the seam? Pin the point just at the 1/4" seam line and sew just above that line. Or, maybe when you are pressing the seam is when the point gets "cut off"? A picture might help.

Blog Entries
    Eleanor Burns of Quilt In A Day has some good rulers for flying geese. evidently you are having problems making them and these rulers should help a great deal. she makes them a tiny bit larger than required and you trim them to size. Good luck.

Blog Entries
    Here is a video from Connecting Threads. It uses a specific ruler, however, the first picture shows what your unit should look like. The seam goes exactly thru the 2 bottom corners, and the top of the triangle is 1/4" down from the top. It doesn't touch the top of the patch.
    http://www.connectingthreads.com/tut...lers__D17.html
    "I do not understand how anyone can live without one small place of enchantment to turn to."
    Marjorie Kinnan Rawlings

I have perfect points when I cut off the points of the patches before sewing. You can also use Wonder Tape and open the block to see how it looks before sewing. I love Wonder Tape, it's a great learning tool to use.

http://www.connectingthreads.com/cft...paign=PPCgpGen
    I believe giving what I can will never cause me to be in need.
    Being cheap is not a badge of honor.
    My heroes are working people, paying their own way, taking care of their children and being decent human beings.

Search quick flying geese method. No special ruler, no trimming. Just as accurate.
    Peace

Quote Originally Posted by nativetexan View Post
    Eleanor Burns of Quilt In A Day has some good rulers for flying geese. evidently you are having problems making them and these rulers should help a great deal. she makes them a tiny bit larger than required and you trim them to size. Good luck.
    This is the method I have used and my geese come out perfect every time. It is being able to adjust a seam that may be off a hair before doing the final trimming.
    A Good Friend, like an old quilt, is both a Treasure and a Comfort

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ManiacQuilter2 View Post
    This is the method I have used and my geese come out perfect every time. It is being able to adjust a seam that may be off a hair before doing the final trimming.
    Me,too! I don't mess with any other method.
    "A woman is like a tea bag-you can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water." Eleanor Roosevelt

Making sure you have 1/4" seams is VERY important in a flying geese block. Also.......setting the square in the corner of the rectangle EXACTLY is important. I mark my diagonal lines and sew slightly to the side of line.....on the side that I'll be cutting off. Remembering to do these things means I have about 5 out of 6 good geese...LOL
    Dee

"A life spent making mistakes is not only more honorable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing." by George Bernard Shaw

I use the Eleanor Burns flying geese rulers and I love them. I seem to get it accurate MOST of the time. Good Luck.

IQ2
    You also need to pay attention to make sure that you have enough overlap of the two sides of the "sky", so that the goose is 1/4" below the top of your finished flying geese unit. That's the seam allowance that will let you sew them together without cutting off the point.

I understand your frustration. I made a queen size quilt made of over 600 flying geese blocks so I experimented with lots of ways to make them. Check out Eleanor Burns on You Tube. It's the best, easiest, and accurate method AND you get 4 geese blocks when you're finished. Made the quilt go much quicker and took the stress off of having accurate blocks.

I find the most accurate way to make flying geese is to paper piece them. Works every time and is exact.

I bought a Deb Tucker's Wing Clipper ruler and have found that to be the most accurate way for me to make Flying Geese with the least waste.
    Thimble and Thread