Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: question for hand quilters

I agree with the 90' advice. My stitches are better when I make sure the needle is vertical as I stitch. If the needle goes in at a slant the stitches on the bottom tend to be off.

It is tape with lines on it to help measure the size of the stitch you make mos QS have it roefrench

If you're getting 8-l0 stitches per inch, that is beautiful. The important thing about the wrong side is that you have made the contact. Frankly, i wouldn't worry about having both sides the same. For me, that would be very difficult.

Another question: Do you care for the number of stiches you do per inch or not?

Quote Originally Posted by Borntohandquilt
    I do care - I try for 10-12, and I try for even. If I make it, great, if I don't, well, it won't ruin my day!

I figure if I try for small stitches most people won't notice if they aren't even. :)

Janet

Cypress, Texas by the way of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    If you have trouble using the smaller needle...thread several sizes and just use each needle as needed. When I did not know what size needle I was using ...no stress...and I could use all sizes. I think the tiny needle has you giving up before you use it. It did for me. Anyway, this worked for me. Hand quilting, you go girl!
    Donna

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Borntohandquilt
    I'm just getting back into quilting and right now I care more about the size of the stitches. In time with practice I hope to get them more even, but right now I figure if they are small I can't see if they are even or not!! The eyes are not as young as they once were!! ;-)

For me it is so much easier to not use a hoop when hand quilting.

Quote Originally Posted by lfw045
    For me it is so much easier to not use a hoop when hand quilting.
    I don't like to use a hoop either if my project is small. Are you just holding the layers in your hand or is there some other way you do it? Curious what other's do.

I have found that when hand quilting that the fabric should not be really taut in the hoop. That is what I was doing when I started hand quilting and it was really difficult to make stitches. Since then I have learned that it should be a little loose. When I put the "quilt sandwich" in the hoop I first get it sort of taut and then loosen it a bit after I tighten the screw a little bit by pushing down gently so there is a bit of a sag. This makes it so much eaiser to rock the needle. At the Houston Quilt Show some years ago I witnessed an oriental lady demonstrating how she quilted and was amazed how "saggy" her fabric was. And she was able to make really small stitches. She was marvelous.

I just have one hand underneath to help guide the needle and feel for wrinkles. I keep a finger cot on my left thumb(left handed) and a leather thimble on my middle finger and go for it! The finger cot helps pull the needle through multiple stitches on the needle and the leather thimble pushes the needle also. Works for me anyway...lol.

I just have one hand underneath to help guide the needle and feel for wrinkles. I keep a finger cot on my left thumb(left handed) and a leather thimble on my middle finger and go for it! The finger cot helps pull the needle through multiple stitches on the needle and the leather thimble pushes the needle also. Works for me anyway...lol.
    sounds a lot like I quilt. Haven't done it in a long while, but all this talk of hand quilting is making me want to do it again.

Blog Entries
    I have always used a size 8 betweens. I bought a package of 10 betweens but I couldn't thread them with the hand quilting thread. I even tried to use a needle threader but it wouldn't go through the eye. can anyone tell me why? and do you have that trouble?

Quote Originally Posted by grandma Janice
    I have always used a size 8 betweens. I bought a package of 10 betweens but I couldn't thread them with the hand quilting thread. I even tried to use a needle threader but it wouldn't go through the eye. can anyone tell me why? and do you have that trouble?
    Different brands have different sized eyes. Roxanne #11 betweens have a larger eye than the John James #11 sharps. I just checked my supply.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by grandma Janice
    I use a needle threader that I bought from the Clover website. Joann's also sells it. Doesn't matter what brand of needle I use, I have to use my needle threader!

I have never figured out how many stitches per inch I get. I do strive for small stitches. I have also found I like to use quilting fingers when I hand quilt (I think that is what they are). They are read and a rubber and they sure save my fingers.

Very intresting topic. No. of stitches to the inch does not matter to me. I go for even stitching. Never heard of tiger tape. Must keep an eye out fot it.

Blog Entries
    awesome, thanks for this tip!

Quote Originally Posted by ckcowl
    tiger tape is a tape with little marks on it it is narrow, like 1/4" or 1/8th" wide and you can get it with the marks from 4-12 per inch, it bends, or gives you nice straight lines, you place it along your quilting lines then use the marks as a guide to make your stitches...helps learn to be consistant, make your stitches even...is available in most quilt shops, or joannes type stores,and is inexpensive.

Blog Entries
    what is a finger cot?

For 25+ years I have been using Birch Between Quilting Needles size 8 and 9 which are about an inch long. 8-10 stitches per inch - I have watched Jinny Beyer on Simply Quilts and her hand quilting technique is magical with the rocking motion - there are other hand quilters who have demonstrated too. I don't always achieve the tiny stitches I'd like, but so long as they're even, they're neat. Keep practicing and you'll be happy with the results - I do use hoops and there should be a little slackness. Not heard of Tiger Tape (only plain 1/4" for guiding lines, maybe Tiger would be good for Sashiko where stitches need to be larger on the top and smaller underneath but very even!!

I use betweens 11 or 12, the quilting thread goes right in the eye. I use several different brands and have not had a problem. You can buy even the 11 and 12s with larger eyes too if necessary.

This sounds interesting. Theresse

Quote Originally Posted by craftybear
    what is a finger cot?

A finger cot is a latex covering for your finger.....not normally used for quilting but hey it works for me......I only use it on my thumb though. Here's a picture.....you can get them at Walmart or your local drug store.

example of finger cots
    Name:  Attachment-70160.jpe
Views: 14
Size:  1.3 KB

I have not looked at my back stitches. I guess I feel good that the needle is going through all the fabrics. I am happy with what is going on with the front.

Blog Entries
    I have made so many hand-quilted quilts over the years and have yet to see anyone look at the back very closely. Unless you are entering in a contest or show, what does it matter as long as they are not long stitches? It is what is pleasing to your eye.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast