Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Question for hand quilting

Question for hand quilting

Has anyone ever hand quilted when fusible batting is used? Was wondering how hard it would be to get the needle through it.
    Jeanann

Theres nothing wrong with me a little chocolate won't fix.

I'm not sure because I've never used fusible batting, but I can't imagine a company would make a batting that can't be quilted since they know that's what it's used for. My suggestion would be to try it on a sample.

What kind of hand quilting needle are you using if you don't mind me asking? If you are using Roxane Needles it would easier to use them since they are a little stronger then using a John James needle. I have decided that Roxane Needles are 10 times better then using the John James.

Speaking of needles, I prefer the Clover Gold Eye for applique
    Donnamarie

I always use Dream Cotton batting because you don't want to use a batting with scrim. I have never used an fusible batting but I don't think I would use it if I was hand quilting.
    A Good Friend, like an old quilt, is both a Treasure and a Comfort

I think the fusible batting would be too stiff to hand quilt. I love to hand quilt but my hands would not take that.

I'm working on embroidering some snowmen right now. I'm using Steam-a-Seam2 as well as fusible fleece, and it's not fun poking and pulling the needle through. I have to do one stitch at a time. And after a few times the needle gets "sticky" and I have to clean it with rubbing alcohol. It does seem easier in the parts that are just the fusible fleece. Still..not real easy.
    Lori

Blog Entries
    It would be similar to trying to hand quilt after using glue method. I find it is sticky and very difficult on the fingers to pull meddle through.cant you use the sewing machine? The needle will develop a small blob of glue but it can stay on the needle as unlike hand work it doesn't get in the way.

Good luck.
    Finished is better than a UFO

Blog Entries
    I just made the mistake of using fusible batting. it is to stiff to hand quilt. Had to machine quilt it.
    Kindness is a language which the deaf can hear and the blind see.
    mark Twain

i've never used a fusible batt, but agree that I think it would be stiff and difficult to quilt through. You could always take some scraps, sandwich them together and see what you have.
    my name is becca and i'm a quilt-a-holic :-)