Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Question for Linus and Charity Quilters >

Question for Linus and Charity Quilters

Question for Linus and Charity Quilters

Old 04-18-2020, 01:47 PM

I have made several quilts for Quilts of Valor and Ronald McDonald House. Our guild provides kits for both, but I've gotten into the habit of purchasing fabric myself. The Q of V group has people who like to long arm and do the binding, so I usually just made the tops.

For the Ronald McDonald quilts, I do the entire project from cutting to binding. I used to do straight line quilting on my Bernina or Singer 201 for the Ronald McDonald quilts (they're smaller than the Q or V quilts), but since I got a sit-down long arm in January, I've been doing some fancier quilting designs on my new machine. I make the McDonald House quilts with bright colors in simple patterns because I don't think the kids care about an intricately designed quilt, they just want a one to cuddle with or drag around the floor.
Attached Thumbnails dscn6239.jpg   dscn6240.jpg   dscn6236.jpg  
Old 04-18-2020, 04:11 PM

I learned very quickly to set standards and stick to them. One quilt for hire, at first glace, seemed poorly made. I asked the lady to help measure it with me. Found out it was her first quilt. As we stretched out the top, we started seeing holes. "These will need to be corrected before I can quilt this." Did more talking about quilting and how to fix things. Asked her to fix it and bring it back, I'd then quilt it. She seemed very pleased to have received constructive critique but never returned.

Set your standards. Have them printed and provided to the coordinator. Don't feel quilty when someone else presents unacceptable products. If you let someone else keep pushing your standards, they'll just keep testing you-just like kids.

If binding isn't provided, return with "no binding provided". If the back isn't large enough, return with "back is too small". If construction is unacceptable, return with "seam allowance inapropriate, etc....".

I make lots of donation quilts and I'm known for they're quality and design. And I pick out the ones I'm willing to quilt. I refuse to do binding for someone else's quilt. There have been times I've trimmed the front to fit the back. There have been a few quilts, I've reconstructed due to quality or workmanship or design-I knew it was needed before I accepted the project. Sometimes I get tired of the quilting and want a challenge.

It's all volunteer. I define what I'm willing to volunteer.
Old 04-18-2020, 05:37 PM
Power Poster

I make donation quilts and have for the last 5 or 6 years.

I furnish everything and do all the sewing and quilting on each one. I try to make 26 - 30 per year. Wish I could make more.

I try to make all of them the best I can. If I am not happy with my work Then I would keep it.

So far I am happy with all of them.