Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Question to longarm/midarm quilters about spool holder >

Question to longarm/midarm quilters about spool holder

Question to longarm/midarm quilters about spool holder

Old 08-06-2013, 04:26 AM

Default Question to longarm/midarm quilters about spool holder

I have a midarm machine. It's thread holder is only for cones or threads that feed by coming UP off of the spool/cone. However, I have some thread that is on spools which will only feed correctly when lying it their sides...as in a domestic machine. I would like to use that thread on my midarm...but I have lots of problems with this thread because of the way it is feeding.

I've tried to think up a way to improvise a temporary threadholder for it..but no such ideas or coming to mind. I thought maybe some of you had dealt with this and have a solution you'd share with me.

Thanks in advance,
Dray
Old 08-06-2013, 05:46 AM
Power Poster

I don't know what make you have buy my LA machine had a special spool holder that I had to purchase seperately (actually I made the dealer throw it in!) and have to mount on the side for those spools. LA and Midarm machines are not set up to take those spools, mostly because of the issue not enough thread is loaded on them that you would use to quilt something.

So unless your manufacturer makes an adaptor spool holder for your specific machine I would not recommend trying to use those spools. Save them for using on your domestic sewing machine for applique or FMQ smalls that aren't worth the effort of loading them on the rack.
Old 08-06-2013, 05:50 AM

My Gammill came with those spool holders.
Old 08-06-2013, 06:04 AM
Power Poster

On my ordinary sewing machine, I have duct taped a paperclip to my machine for an extra thread guide when I needed a spool to feed differently. I don't know if this would help on a long arm. You might be able to put the thread in a cup and put up a couple extra thread guides for it to feed well.
Old 08-06-2013, 06:12 AM

I had this same dilemma , and solved it last week! This solution is totally improvised. I have the new Juki virtuoso, and it works beautifully with cones. So I pull out one of my super cheap mega spools....

http://www.thethreadexchange.com/miv...Category_Code=

...as is $1 a spool and 3000yds (30spools, $30 3000yd)...that's cheap stuff.

At first I thought of putting a paper towel holeder on the wall and pulling the thread off of that...but with a long arm, you travel 4 feet in either direction, so that wasn't going to work. I looked around....guess what worked beautifully???

I took a "multi-pants" hanger...a hanger with four bars that open up separately and set it atop my machine, and over the spools of the machine. Because it is such a big contraption, it set there stable. I used one of my $1 mega spools, and, voila, NO PROBLEMS!!!
...I was so happy, and proud of myself... plus the quilt looks good too!

Good luck!
Old 08-06-2013, 06:14 AM

I had this same dilemma , and solved it last week! This solution is totally improvised. I have the new Juki virtuoso, and it works beautifully with cones. So I pull out one of my super cheap mega spools....

http://www.thethreadexchange.com/miv...Category_Code=

...as in $1 a spool and 3000yds (30spools - $30- 3000yd)...that's cheap stuff.

At first I thought of putting a paper towel holder on the wall and pulling the thread off of that...but with a long arm, you travel 4 feet in either direction, so that wasn't going to work. I looked around....guess what worked beautifully???

I took a "multi-pants" hanger...a hanger with four bars that open up separately and set it atop my machine, and over the spools of the machine. Because it is such a big contraption, it set there very secure and stable. I used one of my $1 mega spools, and, voila, NO PROBLEMS!!!
...I was so happy, and proud of myself... plus the quilt looks good too!

Good luck!
Old 08-06-2013, 07:11 AM
Power Poster

Mine came with one. I think you should be able to attach something that will work.
Old 08-06-2013, 07:19 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by mighty View Post
Mine came with one. I think you should be able to attach something that will work.
Ditto. Hope you find something that works great for you!
Old 08-06-2013, 12:35 PM

My Ss16 had one available for purchase. I have seen a mcgyvered setup that was quite ingenious. A pencil wastaped horizontally to the machine - the spool then fed off correctly.
Old 08-06-2013, 03:22 PM
Power Poster

Tape a dowel somewhere along the top of your machine near where the cone thread would feed to the guides. Use a rubber band to hold the spool in place so as not to spin and you are ready to sew. Hope this helps.
peace