Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Question to longarm/midarm quilters about spool holder

at the foot of the Ouichita Mountains, SE Oklahoma

Question to longarm/midarm quilters about spool holder

I have a midarm machine. It's thread holder is only for cones or threads that feed by coming UP off of the spool/cone. However, I have some thread that is on spools which will only feed correctly when lying it their sides...as in a domestic machine. I would like to use that thread on my midarm...but I have lots of problems with this thread because of the way it is feeding.

I've tried to think up a way to improvise a temporary threadholder for it..but no such ideas or coming to mind. I thought maybe some of you had dealt with this and have a solution you'd share with me.

Thanks in advance,
    Dray

I don't know what make you have buy my LA machine had a special spool holder that I had to purchase seperately (actually I made the dealer throw it in!) and have to mount on the side for those spools. LA and Midarm machines are not set up to take those spools, mostly because of the issue not enough thread is loaded on them that you would use to quilt something.

So unless your manufacturer makes an adaptor spool holder for your specific machine I would not recommend trying to use those spools. Save them for using on your domestic sewing machine for applique or FMQ smalls that aren't worth the effort of loading them on the rack.

My Gammill came with those spool holders.
    http://www.skillpages.com/DonnaValleyquiltermo
    Sweet Dreams come from under Cozy Quilts made with love.
    Life is short, take time to enjoy it. Play with your kids and g-kids,
    and do what you can for others.

Power Poster
    On my ordinary sewing machine, I have duct taped a paperclip to my machine for an extra thread guide when I needed a spool to feed differently. I don't know if this would help on a long arm. You might be able to put the thread in a cup and put up a couple extra thread guides for it to feed well.

I had this same dilemma , and solved it last week! This solution is totally improvised. I have the new Juki virtuoso, and it works beautifully with cones. So I pull out one of my super cheap mega spools....

http://www.thethreadexchange.com/miv...Category_Code=

...as is $1 a spool and 3000yds (30spools, $30 3000yd)...that's cheap stuff.

At first I thought of putting a paper towel holeder on the wall and pulling the thread off of that...but with a long arm, you travel 4 feet in either direction, so that wasn't going to work. I looked around....guess what worked beautifully???

I took a "multi-pants" hanger...a hanger with four bars that open up separately and set it atop my machine, and over the spools of the machine. Because it is such a big contraption, it set there stable. I used one of my $1 mega spools, and, voila, NO PROBLEMS!!!
    ...I was so happy, and proud of myself... plus the quilt looks good too!

Good luck!

I had this same dilemma , and solved it last week! This solution is totally improvised. I have the new Juki virtuoso, and it works beautifully with cones. So I pull out one of my super cheap mega spools....

http://www.thethreadexchange.com/miv...Category_Code=

...as in $1 a spool and 3000yds (30spools - $30- 3000yd)...that's cheap stuff.

At first I thought of putting a paper towel holder on the wall and pulling the thread off of that...but with a long arm, you travel 4 feet in either direction, so that wasn't going to work. I looked around....guess what worked beautifully???

I took a "multi-pants" hanger...a hanger with four bars that open up separately and set it atop my machine, and over the spools of the machine. Because it is such a big contraption, it set there very secure and stable. I used one of my $1 mega spools, and, voila, NO PROBLEMS!!!
    ...I was so happy, and proud of myself... plus the quilt looks good too!

Good luck!

Mine came with one. I think you should be able to attach something that will work.

Quote Originally Posted by mighty View Post
    Mine came with one. I think you should be able to attach something that will work.
    Ditto. Hope you find something that works great for you!
    Be a blessing to others, as you may entertain angels unaware!

My Ss16 had one available for purchase. I have seen a mcgyvered setup that was quite ingenious. A pencil wastaped horizontally to the machine - the spool then fed off correctly.

Blog Entries
    Tape a dowel somewhere along the top of your machine near where the cone thread would feed to the guides. Use a rubber band to hold the spool in place so as not to spin and you are ready to sew. Hope this helps.
    peace
    no act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted. Aesop

I got a horizontal thread holder at the MN Quilt Show last year --for my APQS long arm. The one APQS sells costs apporoximately $50. The one I bought cost a few dollars and works perfect for when I am NOT using a cone thread--and therefore, need teh spool holder to be horizontal. It was from some Gadget company --something likie Gadgets.com or something like that. It has an end on it that slips tight down over the vertical holder and then you can put the spool of thread on it. I do put a clothes pin on the end of the spool, though, so it doesn't work it's way off the horizontal holder. It works perfect for $4. Maybe you could search on google and find something.