Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Question for longarmers >

Question for longarmers

Question for longarmers

Old 09-10-2023, 02:38 PM
Gay

Default Question for longarmers

I am so frustrated. My DD bought over a commissioned quilt yesterday to use my Tin Lizzie to quilt it. I have QBOT automation, and long had issues with the encoders. A few months ago I thought I had solved this problem by hot-glueing lead fishing sinkers to them to weigh them down, and this seemed to solve the problem, as I have done several quilts since. It was heaven. Yesterday, no matter what we did, the machine skipped stitches as before, sew much unpicking each time. DD gave up and went home. I re glued the sinkers and changed the needle, no help. I put up a test piece of fabric & batting, and on manual, stitching was perfect, but using the QBOT on the quilt the problem remained.

Now I am wondering if the quilt fabric and/or batting is the cause. The fabric seems rather soft (hasn't been starched), and my sample used a minky type batting and calico fabric, not sure what DDs batting is. Will give the tracks a thorough cleaning this morning. Has anyone had this issue because of soft fabric or batting?
Old 09-10-2023, 04:03 PM

really sounds like it might be the QBOT if it stitches fine on manual. Have you tried just using manual on the DD quilt? Have you done a search for QBOT support groups?
Old 09-10-2023, 05:03 PM
Power Poster

Are they actually long stitches (needle doesn't go down when it should) or skipped stitches (needles goes down but no stitch is formed)?
Old 09-10-2023, 11:02 PM
Gay

Thank you for your thoughts, but it is the encoders. I have fiddled with them all afternoon, and stitching seems to be getting worse, not better. Am wishing I had bought the Boss encoders ages ago, 'cause now I don't think I can afford them what with the currency exchange. I also want to sell it all, but can't do that if it is not working correctly. Will persevere tomorrow.
Old 09-11-2023, 02:23 PM

Might need to replace your check spring.