Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Question for longarmers >

Question for longarmers

Question for longarmers

Old 09-19-2023, 05:31 AM

Default Question for longarmers

I知 new to longarming and I have heard that some pantos give quilters problems. Do you always try out a new panto before you attempt to quilt with it? What do you consider before you purchase and download a particular pattern? I use QCT 5 Pro software. Any tips would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
Old 09-19-2023, 06:31 AM

When I was using my friend's long arm I used a lot of pantos, we didn't have the software and it was just as ruler work was beginning, so I can't address the download issues, I had paper copies to work from.

The way I work/learn is that practice makes perfect and I needed some muscle memory in practicing how to do complex patterns. Some designs are much easier than others! Even if I just spread out the panto and traced it with my fingers it helped me a lot. Up here, swirl there and so forth -- also helped me decide how to work the edges and whether I could go back and forth or if it was better (for me again) to start each row from the same side.

Good luck on the software aspects, I am hoping to get my own long arm this year but think the most I'll be able to afford is a table that lends to pantos and hopefully both front and rear handles and definitely a stitch regulator. I'll be following this thread to keep the suggestions in mind for my eventual purchase.
Old 09-19-2023, 06:35 AM

I look at reviews of Pantos and I try my best to avoid those with lots of back tracks simply because I dislike thread build ups but more importantly, I dislike trying to place it back in the correct spot should there be a breakage or the thread runs out 🤪. I think any “issues” I have encountered with a design has been thread or just one of those days. Do read the recommended sizing for a pattern as some may not do as well when adjusted.
Old 09-19-2023, 08:35 AM

Are you talking about paper pantos, or are you using robotics? I don't know what the software is that you mentioned.
Old 09-19-2023, 02:00 PM

Peckish, I知 speaking about robotics.
Old 09-19-2023, 02:14 PM

If using robotic automation, you only need to consider how appropriate the design is both in scale and for enhansing the quilt top. For hand driven pantos, l avoid those that are too dense ( l prefer custom fmq if l want closel quilting) , and also those that don't " stack"... ie: next row is offset from first.