Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Question on materials needed >

Question on materials needed

Question on materials needed

Old 04-13-2018, 07:55 AM

Default Question on materials needed

I am starting a new quilt from a book I purchased.

The quilt they did is half the size that I want to make it, which is queen sized.

If I double the materials list, it comes out to 11 3/4 yards of fabric for the top.

Does this seem excessive? Or normal?

It's a PP pattern called Wheel of fortune, done in two colours and a white background.

Thanks,

Watson
Old 04-13-2018, 08:19 AM
anonymous

Are you putting a border on? For 12.5" blocks using this calculator (http://search.quiltshops.com/calculator/calculator.htm) I get 9.5yds. More if including a border.

Old 04-13-2018, 08:30 AM

for paper piecing, normal. It's a big reason I don't cut my PP pieces based on the pattern, I've found they often have over 30% waste. I had a lot of fabric left over from my CMIYC quilt, the directions had you cutting rectangles for all the shapes, when they are all triangles. I cut mine as triangles to start with.

When I did the Fire Island Hosta, I cut WOF and did not precut individual pieces. I was using from stash and knew I would quickly run out of fabric if I followed the pattern cutting layout.
Old 04-13-2018, 08:34 AM

Thanks for your replies. I have to drive about 2 hours over the border to get fabric, so don't want to run short, but didn't want to buy a huge amount if it wasn't needed, either.

I will be doing it in the "Quick Strip Paper Piecing" method and I don't know how much waste there is compared to regular PP.

Watson

Last edited by Watson; 04-13-2018 at 08:37 AM.
Old 04-13-2018, 10:51 AM

If I drove a good distance and was concerned about getting all the fabric I needed for a project, I would buy the larger amount and if extra was left over make pillows or pillow shams or somehow use the extra on the quilt back.
Old 04-13-2018, 12:48 PM

My "rule of thumb" is about 10 yards for a queen-sized quilt, so 11 3/4 seems reasonable for a paper pieces pattern.

I looked up the "quick strip paper piecing" method, and it seems to have quite a bit of waste. Like Macybaby described, all pieces are cut as strips even if the final shape is a triangle. The paper pieces are also all sewn to a single fabric strip, rather than having individual pieces cut, so there is waste between the pieces. I found a sample of the book online; the waste between blocks is apparent in the illustrations.

It looks like an interesting technique; I'm going to have to see if I can get the book from the library. I can accept a bit of fabric waste if it saves time and headaches, and produces a good result!
Old 04-13-2018, 03:43 PM

There is a Craftsy class that is very good.

Watson
Old 04-14-2018, 12:56 PM

I'm doing a different pp'd pattern. Bought what I thought would be an accurate amount of fabric plus a bit extra. I think I will probably have to buy more. I traveled about the same distance (to Lancaster, PA) for my fabric.

My thought process - if I need more, I can always order from the same shop I originally purchased - or elsewhere now that I have the name/number of the fabric.

I agree there is quite a bit of waste with pp'ing anything. But you can't beat the accuracy! I bought about 3/4 the fabric amount as EQ calculated I needed for my king size quilt. The young lady helping me in the quilt shop used a quilter's reference guide and looked at the backing fabric requirement to help me in deciding quantity for the top. It would never have occurred to me to do that!
Old 04-14-2018, 01:08 PM

I would buy the extra.
If you run out you might not get the same again.
and you can always put it into your stash.