Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
question on mitered corneos on binding >

question on mitered corneos on binding

question on mitered corneos on binding

Old 12-08-2011, 07:56 AM
Power Poster

Some real good hints on the two blogs. Thanks for the links.
Old 12-08-2011, 08:07 AM
Power Poster

Are the corners on your quilt, runner, placemat etc. squared up before you start to put on binding? It will help if you use a large square and your rotary cutter to get a true 45º before trying the corners. If the corners are not at 45º there is an way to do them too. Check out http://ankastreasures.wordpress.com under binding odd angles?

Last edited by Tartan; 12-08-2011 at 08:08 AM. Reason: forgot a letter
Old 12-08-2011, 09:18 AM

Originally Posted by dunster View Post
This is a nice tutorial, but I wonder why she doesn't do a bias seam when she connects the final two pieces of binding. She did that on all the other seams, so it seems to me that it would look strange for just one of the binding seams to be straight rather than diagonal, especially since it's a scrappy binding.
Haha...dunster you are right! In all my craziness to finish my binding I didn't even notice that! Lol
Old 12-08-2011, 10:19 AM

Thank you for your hints and tutorials. I appreciate it very much seems liked I helped some one else by asking the question. I will keep working on them.
Old 12-08-2011, 01:38 PM

I usually trim the corners (backing, batting and front), don't trim any binding. Just makes it less bulky.
Old 12-08-2011, 03:25 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Holice View Post
what is happening with the corner that "doesn't come out right"? Have you checked your seam allowance both for coming into the corner as well as the next seam. How far did you come down to the end of the eam. Stop a couple stitches before you come to the seam allowance at the corner. this will leave a bit of space for the fold in your binding.
Usually the reason for corner not coming out right is irregular seam allowance. Also make sure the fold is exact 45 degree angle hwn you fold for the next seam.

I usually don't trim the corner. However, sometime just take a small clip at the corner. If for some reason the corner is too bulky with batting I will shave a bit of binding out.
I don't clip much at the corner.
Holice is absolutely correct. You might just check when you the fold back or flip BEFORE you start sewing that everything is EXACTLY where it should be. I usually leave my fold just a width of the pin from the edge of the quilt. But your quilt has to be square too!!

I have NEVER cut any of the binding fabric tho I have shaved off a bit of the batting if it seems a little tight. GOOD LUCK !!
Old 12-08-2011, 03:40 PM

My corners vary, some corners come out perfect, then some come out narrower than the side width binding. I must be doing something wrong.
Old 12-08-2011, 03:42 PM

I had the same problem also it was because it was not a good 45 degree
Old 12-08-2011, 09:42 PM

okay...here is how i teach mitered corners....
1. square up each corner with a large (at least 12" ruler)
2. now, this sounds weird, do it on a sample and trust me...... AFTER SQUARING UP...move the ruler to 1/8" away from the corner and angle down to the actual raw edge 3" down (shaves off a teeny dart shape)..
3. now repeat on the other side of the square...each 90 deg corner is now 1/8 off BOTH directions...
4. apply binding with the "seam down, stop, fold on 45, re-sew on the other side" method, lining up the raw edge of the binding on the raw edge of the quilt layer....
5. now when you turn the corner and all the layers are inside, they will be perfectly square...the tiny trimmed piece leaves just enough space for all the fabric inside...and i do not trim the binding...you need it inside to hold the shape of the corner.
Old 12-09-2011, 09:05 AM

Thanks for the information on mitered corners. I have trouble with them as well. I will try your method and see if it works for me.