Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Question for new type of batt >
  • Question for new type of batt

• Question for new type of batt

Old 09-13-2013, 01:37 PM

I was advised against using bamboo batting due to the fact that it "wiggles" its way out in time through where it is stitched.

I have not put this to the test but took on the warning.
    Old 09-13-2013, 01:43 PM
    Power Poster

Wow!! I had never even heard of bamboo batting. I guess I just learned something new. But I think I will continue with my Warm and Natural. I have been very happy with it.

As to higher loft, I wonder if a person could just use two layers of the regular stuff.....
    Old 09-13-2013, 01:49 PM

I haven't tried the bamboo batting - didn't know the processing was so environmentally bad. - figured bamboo would be good because it is such a renewable resource. Learn something new every day!
    Old 09-13-2013, 02:24 PM

Originally Posted by BellaBoo
    I won't use bamboo. The process to make offsets any reason for using it in the first place. Sharon Shamber has a new product that adds loft to quilting, looks like trapunto without the work. You can use any batting you want.

The like Mountain Mist battings and have used a lot of it.
    That's very interesting. I never gave the process of making batting a thought. What would be the safest kind to get?
    Old 09-13-2013, 02:28 PM
    Power Poster

Same with organic grown foods. The approved list the farmers can add to the plants are worse then the stuff that everyone hollers about. People need to research before jumping on the mainstream bandwagon. For instance the swirly save the resources light bulbs. They were made for business, museums, industries that have lights left on 24/7 to save money., Switching them off and on shortens the life by half. They last for years if never turned off and on. They were never meant for the average home use. Discarded energy saving bulbs pollute the earth with hazardous chemicals. Regular old glass light bulbs won't poison anyone.
    Old 09-13-2013, 07:04 PM

I have always used Dream cotton because I can't stand the feel of the poly blend when I'm working with it. Once it is in a quilt it is okay but it is getting a quilt layered with it that I have a problem. I was at Joannes and got a killer deal on the new Pellon Nature's touch 100% cotton batting. I absolutely love this batting. It is thicker than the Dream cotton and, to me, gives a better 'feel' to the quilts. It also makes them nice and crinkly for the old fashioned look. It does have a scrim. It is very forgiving too, it makes my quilting look good!
    Old 09-14-2013, 10:22 AM

I like a higher than average loft and would use the batting you described if the price was good. I understand wanting to be careful with the environment, put think sometimes it is easier to follow the crowd than to do your own thinking. When using only cotton to "save the earth" remember that growing cotton depletes the soil, and most times the nutrients are replaced with chemicals.
    Old 09-15-2013, 04:46 AM

Yes, I would be interested in that product. Easier than two layers of batting.
    Old 09-15-2013, 08:43 AM

I just finished a quilt with bamboo and it was a mess. Came through the fabric which unfortunately was dark colors. I hope it doesn't keep doing that after being washed. I won't buy it again.
    Old 09-15-2013, 08:48 AM

If I want loft I use 2 layers. It can be hard to work with but I manage some how. What your talking about sounds great!