Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Question from a newbie >

Question from a newbie

Question from a newbie

Old 08-23-2011, 11:06 AM

Very much a matter of personal preference. Some fabrics seem to need starch more than others so sometimes I do and sometimes I don't. But then, I don't often pre-wash either.
Old 08-23-2011, 11:22 AM

I startch before, it is way more accurate for me but it is a personal choice.
Originally Posted by Monie
If this question has reared it's ugly head again please just don't answer me thank you. My question do you startch your fabric before cuttin are after? Thank you in advance
Old 08-23-2011, 11:22 AM

I startch before, it is way more accurate for me but it is a personal choice.
Originally Posted by Monie
If this question has reared it's ugly head again please just don't answer me thank you. My question do you startch your fabric before cuttin are after? Thank you in advance
Old 08-23-2011, 11:25 AM
Power Poster

I don't normally use starch. If you use the search function you will find even more opinions and methods.
Old 08-23-2011, 11:47 AM

I haven't done much starching. I just decide that I am making wonky things if they go that way. hehe

At a free motion quilt workshop, the treacher said she starches before she cuts, starches when pressing any seams, starches when pressing the blocks, starches when she presses rows, and starches when she presses the top. She also starches the backing fabric. Said it cut down on the movement for FMQ. I can see why, she's quilting a board! But that might even help me not have wrinkles.
Old 08-23-2011, 12:32 PM

Originally Posted by leatheflea
I put my fabric in a bucket and dump in the starch mixture (half starch half water). Squeeze out the excess and throw in the dryer, iron and cut. paper stiff! no shifting or stretching.
I think this is a great idea, and I'm going to put it in my notebook under 'Hints'! I really don't like spray starch, it always makes a mess on my iron. Better to get it done in one fell swoop like you do!!
Old 08-23-2011, 12:35 PM

Do you use the startch in a box that mix with water and heat or does it have to be heated. My Mom used to use it all the time and I remember it as being hot. I will try this also. Spray starching takes a lot of time in addidion to the mess it makes when spraying and on your iron and ironing board cover.
Originally Posted by majormom
Originally Posted by leatheflea
I put my fabric in a bucket and dump in the starch mixture (half starch half water). Squeeze out the excess and throw in the dryer, iron and cut. paper stiff! no shifting or stretching.
I think this is a great idea, and I'm going to put it in my notebook under 'Hints'! I really don't like spray starch, it always makes a mess on my iron. Better to get it done in one fell swoop like you do!!
Old 08-23-2011, 12:53 PM

I learned to starch first. After I learned about starching, I used it when I was ironing the blocks, bad idea. I screwed up the blocks and as dense as I am, it didn't dawn on me why until after I had remade several of them. Also I learned sizing was better because it will not attract insects and such. I wash my fabric as I get it, take it out of the dryer and smooth it and fold it, if I am not going to use it right away. When I get ready to use it, I iron and starch it then.
Old 08-23-2011, 02:40 PM

I agree with RoseL. I don't starch unless I have to.
Old 08-23-2011, 03:21 PM

Is the "Magic Sizing" located by the starch at WalMart?