Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Question for Owners of 9" Throat Sewing Machines >

Question for Owners of 9" Throat Sewing Machines

Question for Owners of 9" Throat Sewing Machines

Old 08-22-2011, 06:27 AM

If you want to quilt a queen size quilt on your 9", a frame really helps since you don't have to baste and you don't have to wrestle the quilt around. I have a Pfaff 1200 on a frame and I wouldn't go back to not using a frame for anything larger than a crib size anymore. But, like Charlee said, by the time you get halfway through a queen size you either have to turn the quilt around on the frame or you will have a very small space to work with (I prefer to turn). So I'm saving my money for a LA - when I realized I could have had a Bailey for about what I spent on my present set up I knew I should have investigated more before I rushed out and bought the Pfaff. You're right to think about it before you leap into buying something.
Old 08-22-2011, 06:56 AM

I have a Pfaff Grand Quilter I bought used from a lady in our Guild. I absolutely HATED trying to quilt with my regular piecing machine. The Pfaff never comes off the frame because it weights too much. But, if I had it to do over again, I would look for a 13-15 inch throat. You lose space to quilt very quickly, usually half way through a lap quilt. Wouldn't give it up for the world (until I get a larger one).
Old 08-22-2011, 07:43 AM
Power Poster

I have looked into the smaller 9" set ups too... I will say not having to baste is a plus, but the smaller quilting area is what holds me back from looking more seriously at these :D:D:D
Old 08-22-2011, 07:47 AM

I have the Baby Lock Quilter's Choice Pro on a New Joy frame. I have had it for a few years now, and find that it is more than sufficient for my quilting needs. The space to quilt averages about 5", but slightly less for a large quilt when I get past the middle and the roll gets larger. But nevertheless it does the job, and it was reasonably priced.
Old 08-22-2011, 07:49 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by weezie
One definite benefit to using a frame is not having to baste quilt layers together and, therefore, no basting to remove while it's being quilted.
this is a huge benefit IMHO. i just finished quilting a king on my frame using warm and natural. i only had 4" of quilting space at the end, so had to be creative with my quilting designs. also, i had to turn my quilt 3x to finish
Old 08-22-2011, 08:04 AM

I have a 9" Janome on a New Joy frame. If you're only doing meandering or some other simple back-and-forth quilting, it's fine. But if you want to do designs inside blocks you may end up running into trouble with lack of space, and you may even have to take the quilt off the frame, turn it around, and reload it so you can finish.
I have lucked out with a recent acquisition of an 18" Wow (stretched Singer 201) and am currently expanding my frame to accommodate it. So excited!!!
Old 08-22-2011, 09:53 AM
Banned

I have a juki o a grace start right frame. works very well
Old 08-22-2011, 04:32 PM
Suz

I have tried using a Bernina 730 and found it difficult. Seemed all I did was stitch, undo the side clamps, roll forward a little, reclamp, lock and start all over again. The stitching space was limited. With a longer arm, I believe I could have been more successful.

My problem was my back. I had the most difficulty standing for long periods in the same spot. I cannot do it. Too much hardware in my back and I am fighting to have more added. I do much better FMQ using the "stuff and fluff" method.
Old 08-24-2011, 07:17 PM

I have a Juki on the original Inspira frame. The quilting space does get limited but I have done so many that I have learned to work with it. Usually all over small patterns work best for me.

I think the crucial point about a frame is the space it takes up. For me it fits perfectly on the floor I was using to get down on my hands and knees to pin and baste :-)
Old 08-25-2011, 02:01 AM

If you can swing it, you can get a Bailey. It's a very basic machine but is known to be a workhorse. You can use it on a frame or set it up on a table.
http://www.baileyssewingcenter.com/test.html

There is a yahoo group devoted to them. People sell their 13" & 15" when they are ready to get their 17" machine. You might be able to find one at a good discount used ;)