Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Question on paper piecing

Question on paper piecing

Does anyone ever double their fabric in paper piecing? The fabric I'm using is wayyyy thin. Would I need to use something like heat and bond lite to fuse the layers together or should I just double it and go on? Thanks for any suggestions.

I have when the perfect color is to thin AND the pattern isn't to intricate.
    "Never cruel, nor cowardly, never give up, never give in."

Let's take care of the Earth, it is the only planet that for sure has Chocolate.

Sonic screwdrivers, fez, bow ties, and Stetsons are cool.

Oh and I also did it once for effect, to make a wood grain look w/ sheer fabric that was two layers of sheer and on of colored fabric, that was a headache but so worth it for how it turned out.
    "Never cruel, nor cowardly, never give up, never give in."

Let's take care of the Earth, it is the only planet that for sure has Chocolate.

Sonic screwdrivers, fez, bow ties, and Stetsons are cool.

I have used batiks that are so thin they cling to the next one in the pile and two pieces get sewn in place. As long as both stay put when you add the next piece ...not even the quilt police would detect the error. I would suspect just a quick spray of starch would be helpful when ironing the two together? I have found that many batiks have some of the residual wax used in creating the design in their weave and a hot iron seems to bond two as if they were one.

I have doubled my thinner fabrics or even put a solid under a thin print. I have used a bit of fusible , just a couple of dots to create a single fabric. I have found when using a double fabric... pressing each step/seam is really important to a good final result.

I have used plenty of fusible when I made my necktie quilt. Silk ties not only stretch, they are thin. I'm sure it would work with thin cottons also, the fusible would also stick better.