Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Question -- Patterns and Quilt Kits--Feedback please!! >

Question -- Patterns and Quilt Kits--Feedback please!!

Question -- Patterns and Quilt Kits--Feedback please!!

Old 05-08-2012, 10:41 AM

Default Question -- Patterns and Quilt Kits--Feedback please!!

I attend many craft shows/events during the year with many quilted items to promote my hand and machine quilting business. I would like to extend my customer base (to include quilters) during this holiday season and like to add pre-cut fabrics and possible a few bolts of fabric I would take to these events. I have EQ7 and have tossed around the idea of designing a few small patterns to use the fabrics/pre-cuts I would sell. Or since I have my wholesale number purchase patterns to use the items I would be selling. I would like some feedback from quilters out there and figured this would be the best place. 1) Do you purchase kits already put together? Or do you prefer to pick the pattern and your own fabrics? 2) If/when you buy your kit do you purchase the backing material at the same time? Or do you wait till later? 3) What types of fabrics do you like? The new modern colors which from what I have seen are lighter or more pastel/bright colors or are you drawn to the traditonal or what I call the deeper/richer earthy colors like Kansas Troubles?

Thanks so much for taking the time to read my post and giving feedback. Aubrey
Old 05-08-2012, 10:59 AM

Scrappy quilts are my favorites, the more fabrics the better. I don't have a huge stash so there never seems to be enough variety when a I start a new quilt. The pre-cuts available in charm packs and jelly rolls are too big for the blocks I like. I would love to buy bulk packs of 2 inch squares or 1.5" strips in lights or darks or in smaller packs by colors.
Old 05-08-2012, 11:02 AM
Power Poster

Would anyone be interested in purchasing fabrics in kits that have been WASHED?
Old 05-08-2012, 11:20 AM

I have only purchased one kit ( pattern & fabic for the top) and it is waiting for my attention almost a year later. I will pick out the backing after the quilt top is done. However, I have friends who have experienced NIGHTMARES in purchasing kits that don't have enough fabric and discovered too late to find same.

I usually wait until my tops are finished; by the time I am ready for backing, they have spoken to me as to what is best for back.

Evidently kits sell well because I see so many of them at quilt shows. I would suggest variety in your fabrics such as one kit with light fabrics and another with the earthy tones.

Good luck in your effort.
Old 05-08-2012, 11:48 AM

There are those who love the process of selecting patterns and fabric, but having attended some large shows .. I am struck by the number of people buying kits. I once asked someone who was in line buying 5 kits at one booth ...Why? .. she told me picking the fabrics was a weakness .. she always "chickened out" when it came to colors... she said "this way I know it will look good when I am done".
I know alot of people who once a pattern requires more than 3 or 4 fabrics ... they really struggle with fabric selections.
Old 05-08-2012, 11:56 AM

I don't purchase quilt kits. I bought one from a very reputible quilting website and when I opened it up I hated two of the fabric so I had to go out and get something different. Also there was not enough of the focus fabric and I had to order more. Very frustrating. I much prefer choosing my own fabric. But I know a lot of ladies like the kits.
Old 05-08-2012, 12:27 PM

Use kits once in a while. Never buy backing fabric at same time whether it is a kit or am purchasing my own fabrics. It is the idea of spreading the cost that is foremost.

No, please do not prewash the fabrics.
Old 05-08-2012, 12:41 PM

I have purchased a few quilt kits. I purchased 2 identical kits to give as Christmas gifts. Both kits were short on one particular fabric. I contacted the reputable site that I had purchased them from and they didn't have any of the fabric in stock but were willing to purchase it for me online and send it to me at no charge. I contacted Robert Kaufman as they had packaged the quilt kits themselves. They sent me more than enough fabric to finish both quilts at no charge.

I don't buy the backing at the same time I buy the kit. The backing of a quilt is an opportunity for me to add just another element to the quilt and I don't decide how I will do it until the top is done. I have only purchased one kit for a large wall hanging that actually came with the backing fabric.

I have to be really in love with the fabrics in the kit to buy it. I enjoy the process of picking my fabrics and I don't want to make a quilt that many other people will have the exact same one, even though I may never see it!
Old 05-08-2012, 12:49 PM

Location: Small town in Northeast Oregon close to Washington and Idaho

First, I have to love the fabric and pattern. Now, I am a quilt kit fanatic. I love to buy kits. I don't have to find a pattern and then find all the fabric and figure out which fabric will be what and how much I need. I do like to buy the backing at the same time. Always the binding is included in the kit. I use to like more traditional fabrics but now I like the bright bold colorful fun fabrics...the ones with cute flowers and dots and paisley and stripes, etc. But whenever I go to a new quilt shop, the first thing I ask is if they have kits. And if they do, I become a patron. I fly to Texas from Oregon to visit a niece and always drive way out of my way to hit a quilt shop that sells so many kits that they make there. I also buy kits from magazines and online. I know many people prefer to pick out their own fabric and pattern, but if I see the kit already made into a quilt on a wall or in a picture and I like it, I buy it. I do occasionally buy fabric lines and patterns and make quilts that way, but I like making the quilt and having the kit assembled is something that takes away any anxiety I get from deciding which fabric to choose. I usually get overwhelmed when there are so many choices. I've bought kits that are pre-cut also. Some with charms or jelly rolls and some from dies. That part doesn't affect my decision.

Last edited by jcrow; 05-08-2012 at 12:57 PM.
Old 05-08-2012, 01:12 PM

I am one that prefers to make my own fabric choices. I do like it when in a pattern they tell you the fabric requirements for each fabric they choose. I have never bought a kit and was gifted a jelly roll one time. not a big fan. I like to have more yardage than anything so that I can change things around if I like. THis being said, one who looks at others work and like to change it. I color around and in the box. hehe